Oct 24, 2010, 9:53 AM EST
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin is beginning to narrow the search for his club’s next manager.
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, former Diamondbacks and Mariners manager Bob Melvin and White Sox bench coach Joey Cora are among the finalists.
Melvin began with a list of ten candidates for the position, but only four will be brought back for second interviews. It’s not known who the others may be, but Nationals third base coach Pat Listach won’t be one of them. The former Brewer told Haudricourt that he is no longer under consideration for the job.
Despite not having a manager in place, the Brewers also locked up hitting coach Dale Sveum to a two-year contract. Sveum recently interviewed for the Pirates’ managerial job, but was told Friday that he is no longer being considered. He hoped to be interviewed for the Brewers’ manager job, as well, but Melvin intends to bring in somebody from outside the organization.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)