Oct 24, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
The Athletics just announced in a press release that Curt Young has declined the team’s offer to return as pitching coach next season.
Young, who was originally drafted by the A’s in 1981, spent 27 years in the organization, including the past seven as the team’s pitching coach. Overseeing the youngest pitching staff in the majors this season, the A’s led the American League with a 3.56 ERA.
“Curt has a long history within our organization and we appreciate all of his contributions to the A’s-as a player, as a minor league coach, and ultimately as the pitching coach here in Oakland,” said David Forst, A’s assistant general manager. “We are disappointed that he has chosen not to accept our offer to return in 2011 but we wish him well as he explores other opportunities within the game.”
Both Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle and Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe see Young as a possible fit with the Red Sox since John Farrell is expected to be named as Blue Jays manager, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that he will likely join Kirk Gibson’s staff in Arizona.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 0
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 178
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 138
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (184)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (138)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)