Oct 24, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
The Athletics just announced in a press release that Curt Young has declined the team’s offer to return as pitching coach next season.
Young, who was originally drafted by the A’s in 1981, spent 27 years in the organization, including the past seven as the team’s pitching coach. Overseeing the youngest pitching staff in the majors this season, the A’s led the American League with a 3.56 ERA.
“Curt has a long history within our organization and we appreciate all of his contributions to the A’s-as a player, as a minor league coach, and ultimately as the pitching coach here in Oakland,” said David Forst, A’s assistant general manager. “We are disappointed that he has chosen not to accept our offer to return in 2011 but we wish him well as he explores other opportunities within the game.”
Both Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle and Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe see Young as a possible fit with the Red Sox since John Farrell is expected to be named as Blue Jays manager, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that he will likely join Kirk Gibson’s staff in Arizona.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)