Oct 24, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
Interesting situation between the Mets and Hisanori Takahashi.
According to David Waldstein of the New York Times, the Mets have until October 31 (next Sunday) to sign Takahashi to a new contract or else they are prohibited from signing the left-hander until May 15, 2011.
Why? Well, it’s little complicated. When the Mets signed Takahashi to a minor league contract in February, there was a clause inserted in his contract which stated that he must be released by October 31 in order to become a free agent. According to MLB rules, any player who is released after midnight August 31 and before Opening Day of the next season cannot sign a major league deal with the same team until May 15. So, basically, if the Mets don’t re-sign him by next Sunday, he’ll end up elsewhere.
Only adding to the uncertainty is that the Mets haven’t decided on a general manager. Acting GM John Ricco has been handling the negotiations with Takahashi’s agent Peter Greenberg. It’s hard to know if Sandy Alderson or Josh Byrnes would agree with handing Takahashi a multi-year contract, for example, but the left-hander looks like he would be an asset to any pitching staff.
Takahashi, who turns 36 next April, went 10-6 with a 3.61 ERA in 12 starts and 41 relief appearances with the Mets this season. After Francisco Rodriguez went down with a season-ending thumb injury, he went a perfect 8-for-8 in save opportunities.
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 0
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 10
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)