Oct 24, 2010, 8:56 AM EDT
Just in case there was any doubt whatsoever, Tim Lincecum told Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com that he expects to start Game 1 of the World Series against the Rangers on Wednesday, despite facing three batters on Saturday night.
“I fully expect to make the start,” Lincecum said. “It’s not like they told me to get ready for Game 1. They just said, ‘Get ready for your next start.’ So I think that’s what they’re talking about, yeah.”
Going for the jugular, Bruce Bochy called on Lincecum to start the eighth inning. He struck out Jayson Werth to begin the frame, but then allowed back-to-back singles by Shane Victorino and Raul Ibanez before Brian Wilson came on for a five-out save. It was Lincecum’s regular bullpen day after his Game 5 start on Thursday. As opposed to Roy Oswalt, who pitched in relief in Game 4, Lincecum skipped his throwing session.
And so, we’ll almost certainly have Tim Lincecum and Cliff Lee going head-to-head in Game 1 on Wednesday. Granted, it doesn’t have the allure of Lee vs. Halladay, but it’s still pretty darn good.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)