Oct 24, 2010, 8:56 AM EDT
Just in case there was any doubt whatsoever, Tim Lincecum told Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com that he expects to start Game 1 of the World Series against the Rangers on Wednesday, despite facing three batters on Saturday night.
“I fully expect to make the start,” Lincecum said. “It’s not like they told me to get ready for Game 1. They just said, ‘Get ready for your next start.’ So I think that’s what they’re talking about, yeah.”
Going for the jugular, Bruce Bochy called on Lincecum to start the eighth inning. He struck out Jayson Werth to begin the frame, but then allowed back-to-back singles by Shane Victorino and Raul Ibanez before Brian Wilson came on for a five-out save. It was Lincecum’s regular bullpen day after his Game 5 start on Thursday. As opposed to Roy Oswalt, who pitched in relief in Game 4, Lincecum skipped his throwing session.
And so, we’ll almost certainly have Tim Lincecum and Cliff Lee going head-to-head in Game 1 on Wednesday. Granted, it doesn’t have the allure of Lee vs. Halladay, but it’s still pretty darn good.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 52
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)