Oct 24, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
The Giants have home-field advantage during the World Series thanks to the National League winning the All-Star Game back in July, so the Rangers will have to play without the designated hitter for the first two games of the series.
With that in mind, Rangers manager Ron Washington told Jeff Kaplan of ESPNDallas.com that Vladimir Guerrero will start either Game 1 or Game 2 in the outfield.
“I don’t know yet. Haven’t decided,” Washington said of which game he might give his cleanup hitter the start. “We really haven’t sat down and talked about it yet, but you can best believe we’ll figure out a way to get Vlad in in there. In the starting lineup, some kind of way.”
The 35-year-old Guerrero played the outfield just 18 times this season, mostly during Interleague Play. He has played there just once since the beginning of September.
The Giants haven’t announced their rotation for the World Series, but they are expected to pitch Tim Lincecum in Game 1 and Matt Cain in Game 2. David Murphy has started against most right-handed starters during the playoffs, so he will likely start the game Vlad doesn’t.
Guerrero is batting .267 (12-for-45) with three doubles, four RBI and four runs scored during the postseason. He drove in three runs when the Rangers finished off the Yankees in the ALCS on Friday night.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)