Oct 24, 2010, 3:02 PM EST
The Giants have home-field advantage during the World Series thanks to the National League winning the All-Star Game back in July, so the Rangers will have to play without the designated hitter for the first two games of the series.
With that in mind, Rangers manager Ron Washington told Jeff Kaplan of ESPNDallas.com that Vladimir Guerrero will start either Game 1 or Game 2 in the outfield.
“I don’t know yet. Haven’t decided,” Washington said of which game he might give his cleanup hitter the start. “We really haven’t sat down and talked about it yet, but you can best believe we’ll figure out a way to get Vlad in in there. In the starting lineup, some kind of way.”
The 35-year-old Guerrero played the outfield just 18 times this season, mostly during Interleague Play. He has played there just once since the beginning of September.
The Giants haven’t announced their rotation for the World Series, but they are expected to pitch Tim Lincecum in Game 1 and Matt Cain in Game 2. David Murphy has started against most right-handed starters during the playoffs, so he will likely start the game Vlad doesn’t.
Guerrero is batting .267 (12-for-45) with three doubles, four RBI and four runs scored during the postseason. He drove in three runs when the Rangers finished off the Yankees in the ALCS on Friday night.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)