Oct 24, 2010, 3:02 PM EST
The Giants have home-field advantage during the World Series thanks to the National League winning the All-Star Game back in July, so the Rangers will have to play without the designated hitter for the first two games of the series.
With that in mind, Rangers manager Ron Washington told Jeff Kaplan of ESPNDallas.com that Vladimir Guerrero will start either Game 1 or Game 2 in the outfield.
“I don’t know yet. Haven’t decided,” Washington said of which game he might give his cleanup hitter the start. “We really haven’t sat down and talked about it yet, but you can best believe we’ll figure out a way to get Vlad in in there. In the starting lineup, some kind of way.”
The 35-year-old Guerrero played the outfield just 18 times this season, mostly during Interleague Play. He has played there just once since the beginning of September.
The Giants haven’t announced their rotation for the World Series, but they are expected to pitch Tim Lincecum in Game 1 and Matt Cain in Game 2. David Murphy has started against most right-handed starters during the playoffs, so he will likely start the game Vlad doesn’t.
Guerrero is batting .267 (12-for-45) with three doubles, four RBI and four runs scored during the postseason. He drove in three runs when the Rangers finished off the Yankees in the ALCS on Friday night.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (103)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)