Oct 24, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
The Giants have home-field advantage during the World Series thanks to the National League winning the All-Star Game back in July, so the Rangers will have to play without the designated hitter for the first two games of the series.
With that in mind, Rangers manager Ron Washington told Jeff Kaplan of ESPNDallas.com that Vladimir Guerrero will start either Game 1 or Game 2 in the outfield.
“I don’t know yet. Haven’t decided,” Washington said of which game he might give his cleanup hitter the start. “We really haven’t sat down and talked about it yet, but you can best believe we’ll figure out a way to get Vlad in in there. In the starting lineup, some kind of way.”
The 35-year-old Guerrero played the outfield just 18 times this season, mostly during Interleague Play. He has played there just once since the beginning of September.
The Giants haven’t announced their rotation for the World Series, but they are expected to pitch Tim Lincecum in Game 1 and Matt Cain in Game 2. David Murphy has started against most right-handed starters during the playoffs, so he will likely start the game Vlad doesn’t.
Guerrero is batting .267 (12-for-45) with three doubles, four RBI and four runs scored during the postseason. He drove in three runs when the Rangers finished off the Yankees in the ALCS on Friday night.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)