Jamie Moyer is going to play winter ball

Oct 25, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT

Jamie Moyer

Winter ball is a great place for young players to work on things or to stay in shape during the offseason.  Or for really, really old players too, apparently, as Enrique Rojas reports that Jamie Moyer will pitch for the Escogido Lions in Dominican Winter League this year. This is clearly as sign that the nearly 48-year-old Moyer wants to continue pitching, and will use the winter to get back into playing shape after missing the second half of the season.

Or maybe it’s just a boondoggle, and Moyer is looking for a free trip to Santo Domingo. I hear he hasn’t been there since the heady mercenary days of El grito de Capotillo and the Restoration War and is feeling nostalgic for the place.

1. TomTom - Oct 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Time period jokes about Jamie Moyer are always funny. Always.

2. Utley's Hair - Oct 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM

At the time of his injury, Grandpa said he wanted to continue pitching, so that isn’t really news. But why did I just get an image of him in a bathrobe, dark socks and slippers, shaking his fist, yelling “Get off my mound!!!!!”?

• nps6724 - Oct 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Sounds more like Dallas Braden.

• ta192 - Oct 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Not a pretty picture…

3. Jonny 5 - Oct 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I’ll tell ya what. This guy’s got MOXY!!! Now I’m off to the sock hop now that I drank my pop.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM

You going for a malted at the soda fountain after the rally?

4. O.Handwasher - Oct 25, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I’m just so rooting for him to get 300 wins right after he turns 50, just to watch the HOF committee twitch a bit.

5. larrytsg - Oct 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

This guy just CAN’T retire. It will be the official end to my youth!

One of my friends says that you’re only young when there is at least one baseball player still active that is older than you. Well, I’m 46 now, and Barry Bonds is gone, Randy Johnson is gone, Julio Franco is gone, and Roger Clemens is gone. There is only ONE player left… Jamie Moyer!

• hardjudge - Oct 25, 2010 at 8:28 PM

You should be 65 and would have been old for a couple of decades!

6. schmedley69 - Oct 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Jamie should get one of those Dominican birth certificates while he’s down there. He can shave at least 10 years off of his age and Ruben Amaro would probably give him a new 5-year deal.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3641)