Oct 25, 2010, 9:31 PM EST
Giants manager Bruce Bochy just confirmed his starting rotation for the World Series against the Rangers.
Courtesy of Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury, Tim Lincecum will start Game 1 on Wednesday, while Matt Cain pitches Game 2 on Thursday and Jonathan Sanchez starts Game 3 on Saturday.
Lincecum was a no-brainer to start Game 1 against Cliff Lee, despite his relief appearance on Saturday night. The big change is that Sanchez, who started Game 2 of the NLCS against the Phillies, is being pushed back to Game 3.
According to Bochy, Sanchez’s clunker of an outing in Game 6 wasn’t the reason for the change.
“Matt hasn’t thrown in a while. He’s ready and Johnny just threw. We’re excited wherever we put these guys.”
By the way, Bochy said he didn’t consider replacing Sanchez with Barry Zito. Sorry, Peter. Madison Bumgarner is lined up to start Game 4 on Sunday night.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)