By the way: the World Series is still unlikely to be televised in New York and Philly

Oct 25, 2010, 11:03 AM EDT

old TV

At least for Cabevision subscribers, as the retransmission battle between it and FOX drags on.

I know a lot of Phillies and Yankees fans who claim they won’t watch the Fall Classic now that their teams are out of it, but that’s just bluster. Real baseball fans will want to watch the World Series. And thanks to this little tiff, many won’t be able to.

Cablevision subscribers still have two days to go get an HD antenna — they really do work — sign up with a satellite service if your building’s rules and geographic orientation make it possible or, at the very least, find a great sports bar and claim a good seat early.

1. Jonny 5 - Oct 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Luckily my TV has a built in Digital antenna. I just need to switch the TV to digital, it should work. I better start experimenting now i guess……

2. joepawn - Oct 25, 2010 at 11:29 AM

This World Series is almost guaranteed to have low ratings. Fox is in battle with Cablevision in New York and Philly, possibly other places. They are also in a battle with Dish Network all around the country. As of Nov. 1 Dish Network users in Minnesota, Houston, Dallas, and LA, among others, will be losing Fox. We have already lost our regional Fox Sports channels (missed the last few Twins games here), but are about to lose more.

This means, barring a sweep, likely the #’s 1, 2, 4, 5, and 10 markets may have a good chunk of their houses without Fox for half the series.

3. dp33 - Oct 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM

You should be able to use good old rabbit ears if you have an newer (past 4 years) TV. I’m a Phillies fan living in central Jersey, smack dab in the middle of the Cablevision area and did that to watch the NLCS. In retrospect I should have left the Fox screen blank.

I’m about 35 miles as the crow files from NYC and got a pretty good signal for Fox with the rabbit ears.

4. lardin - Oct 25, 2010 at 11:59 AM

If this were June, and the Knicks or Rangers were playing in the NBA or NHL playoffs, you can bet this would not be an issue. Gotta love the Dolans…

5. Utley's Hair - Oct 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Unfortunately, I’m in Comcastville and FiOS still carries it, so I can’t use it as an excuse not to watch the non-Cliffy games in the Walkers-Dwarves series. Ugh…go Cliffy, Hamilton and the Walkers.

6. Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Oct 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Don’t have a rooting interest in either team, so NL loyalty takes over here….

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3281)