Oct 25, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
According to Nick Piecoro of Arizona Republic, former major league pitcher Charles Nagy “has emerged as the leading candidate” to be the Diamondbacks’ pitching coach.
Nagy pitched 14 seasons in the major leagues, 13 of them with the Indians, but spent the final year of his career with the Padres in 2003. The general manager of that team? New Diamondbacks’ GM Kevin Towers.
Nagy served as the pitching coach with Triple-A Columbus in the Indians’ organization this past season. He was the pitching coach with Triple-A Salt Lake in the Angels’ organization from 2006-07.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported on Sunday that former Athletics pitching coach Curt Young was likely headed to Arizona, but if Piecoro can be believed, it doesn’t look like that is going to happen. FYI: The Red Sox and Yankees are among the teams in the market for a new pitching coach.
In other news, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that former Tigers manager Alan Trammell will be named as D-Backs’ bench coach. Trammel most recently served as Cubs’ bench coach from 2006-10, but wasn’t considered for the managerial job. The interesting part about this hire is that Gibson was Trammell’s bench coach in Detroit.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)