Oct 25, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
According to Nick Piecoro of Arizona Republic, former major league pitcher Charles Nagy “has emerged as the leading candidate” to be the Diamondbacks’ pitching coach.
Nagy pitched 14 seasons in the major leagues, 13 of them with the Indians, but spent the final year of his career with the Padres in 2003. The general manager of that team? New Diamondbacks’ GM Kevin Towers.
Nagy served as the pitching coach with Triple-A Columbus in the Indians’ organization this past season. He was the pitching coach with Triple-A Salt Lake in the Angels’ organization from 2006-07.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported on Sunday that former Athletics pitching coach Curt Young was likely headed to Arizona, but if Piecoro can be believed, it doesn’t look like that is going to happen. FYI: The Red Sox and Yankees are among the teams in the market for a new pitching coach.
In other news, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that former Tigers manager Alan Trammell will be named as D-Backs’ bench coach. Trammel most recently served as Cubs’ bench coach from 2006-10, but wasn’t considered for the managerial job. The interesting part about this hire is that Gibson was Trammell’s bench coach in Detroit.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)