Oct 25, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
According to Nick Piecoro of Arizona Republic, former major league pitcher Charles Nagy “has emerged as the leading candidate” to be the Diamondbacks’ pitching coach.
Nagy pitched 14 seasons in the major leagues, 13 of them with the Indians, but spent the final year of his career with the Padres in 2003. The general manager of that team? New Diamondbacks’ GM Kevin Towers.
Nagy served as the pitching coach with Triple-A Columbus in the Indians’ organization this past season. He was the pitching coach with Triple-A Salt Lake in the Angels’ organization from 2006-07.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported on Sunday that former Athletics pitching coach Curt Young was likely headed to Arizona, but if Piecoro can be believed, it doesn’t look like that is going to happen. FYI: The Red Sox and Yankees are among the teams in the market for a new pitching coach.
In other news, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that former Tigers manager Alan Trammell will be named as D-Backs’ bench coach. Trammel most recently served as Cubs’ bench coach from 2006-10, but wasn’t considered for the managerial job. The interesting part about this hire is that Gibson was Trammell’s bench coach in Detroit.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)