Oct 25, 2010, 7:25 PM EST
According to Nick Piecoro of Arizona Republic, former major league pitcher Charles Nagy “has emerged as the leading candidate” to be the Diamondbacks’ pitching coach.
Nagy pitched 14 seasons in the major leagues, 13 of them with the Indians, but spent the final year of his career with the Padres in 2003. The general manager of that team? New Diamondbacks’ GM Kevin Towers.
Nagy served as the pitching coach with Triple-A Columbus in the Indians’ organization this past season. He was the pitching coach with Triple-A Salt Lake in the Angels’ organization from 2006-07.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported on Sunday that former Athletics pitching coach Curt Young was likely headed to Arizona, but if Piecoro can be believed, it doesn’t look like that is going to happen. FYI: The Red Sox and Yankees are among the teams in the market for a new pitching coach.
In other news, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that former Tigers manager Alan Trammell will be named as D-Backs’ bench coach. Trammel most recently served as Cubs’ bench coach from 2006-10, but wasn’t considered for the managerial job. The interesting part about this hire is that Gibson was Trammell’s bench coach in Detroit.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)