Oct 25, 2010, 1:03 PM EDT
We weren’t expecting this: Brian Cashman is having his season-in-review press conference at Yankee Stadium, and he just announced that pitching coach Dave Eiland won’t be returning in 2011. Cashman said that the reason for the firing is “private,” but that it’s not a result of the Yankees’ poor pitching performance in the ALCS.
The reason behind any given move in the Yankee Universe is hard to suss out these days. Unlike back when The Boss was running things, you can’t assume that things are done out of anger or emotion, though of course that could be possible. Unless my old reliable for any unexplained firing — the pilfering of office supplies — is revealed as the reason, my guess is that there were just fundamental disagreements between Eiland ans Girardi about how best to use the staff, how best to figure out A.J. Burnett (Eiland: shock therapy, Girardi: a sound beating) or whatever other pedestrian matters come between a manager and one of his coaches.
And I would guess that Girardi is on board here. All emanations from the Yankees are that they have full confidence in him and Girardi is clear on saying he wants to come back. Indeed, right after announcing the firing of Eiland, Cashman made a point to say that he would be meeting with Girardi’s agent tomorrow to discuss a contract extension.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)