Oct 25, 2010, 1:03 PM EST
We weren’t expecting this: Brian Cashman is having his season-in-review press conference at Yankee Stadium, and he just announced that pitching coach Dave Eiland won’t be returning in 2011. Cashman said that the reason for the firing is “private,” but that it’s not a result of the Yankees’ poor pitching performance in the ALCS.
The reason behind any given move in the Yankee Universe is hard to suss out these days. Unlike back when The Boss was running things, you can’t assume that things are done out of anger or emotion, though of course that could be possible. Unless my old reliable for any unexplained firing — the pilfering of office supplies — is revealed as the reason, my guess is that there were just fundamental disagreements between Eiland ans Girardi about how best to use the staff, how best to figure out A.J. Burnett (Eiland: shock therapy, Girardi: a sound beating) or whatever other pedestrian matters come between a manager and one of his coaches.
And I would guess that Girardi is on board here. All emanations from the Yankees are that they have full confidence in him and Girardi is clear on saying he wants to come back. Indeed, right after announcing the firing of Eiland, Cashman made a point to say that he would be meeting with Girardi’s agent tomorrow to discuss a contract extension.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)