Oct 25, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
He doesn’t put those two words together, but Joel Sherman calls Girardi “paranoid” — twice — and calls him “deceitful,” “misleading” and says that he’s less-than-candid.
There’s nothing wrong with writing a column pointing out the professional faults of the local manager following a tough playoff loss, but am I wrong in thinking that if you’re going to go after the guy’s integrity and flatly call him a liar, you need to put some evidence on the table? Because there’s none here. Some have suggested that Girardi was less than forthcoming about Mariano Rivera’s health during the series (I can’t seem to find a story about that, but if anyone has it, I’d like to see it), but even if that was the case, why on Earth is it a bad thing for Girardi to make the world think that Mo was as strong as ever? Isn’t it possible that Ron Washington manages differently if he thinks that Rivera isn’t available? Perhaps he takes more risks in the seventh or eighth inning of a close game than he otherwise might have?
Regardless, Sherman’s takedown seems way more like the airing of a media grudge against Girardi than a cogent analysis of his managerial ability. Which, of course, is nothing new for Sherman, but still.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)