Manny Ramirez had hernia surgery, would like to play for the Blue Jays

Oct 25, 2010, 4:59 PM EDT

Manny Ramirez

Enrique Rojas is all over the old guy beat today. First he had the Moyer news, and now he’s reporting that Manny Ramirez underwent hernia surgery two weeks ago. Apparently Ramirez had discomfort in his groin for most of the season, but waited until the year was over to have surgery. He’s supposed to be good to go for spring training.

As for where he’ll be training, Ramirez tells Rojas that he’d like to join John Farrell in Toronto. Takes two to tango, of course, so who knows? Whatever the case, Ramirez should probably expect nothing more than a Vlad Guerrero kind of contract. And given his durability issues the past two years, even that may be a bit high.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 25, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Manny, expect a 2010 Thome-type deal at best. Thome himself deserves a Vlad-type deal instead.

2 million for Manny, 5 million for Jim.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

And yes, I’m aware Thome made less than 2 million guaranteed in 2010. I’m ballparking.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM

$800,000 seems about right. On the other hand it is nice to see a free agent publicly considering Toronto.

2. pisano - Oct 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

proudlycanadian , you don’t want that cancer on your team . He’s been trouble whereever he’s been .

• proudlycanadian - Oct 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM

1) He would not accept $800,000, but if he did, he would be very motivated to be on his best behaviour in order to get a better contract the following year.

• professorperry - Oct 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Oh my goodness! So much trouble! 2 WS rings for the Red Sox, year after year of awesome production, slugging the Dodgers back to the playoffs. The horror! The horror!

• proudlycanadian - Oct 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I have to take back my earlier comments. Manny will be 39 in May and only hit 9 home runs last year. The Jays would not be interested. On the other hand, his comments are indicative of a change in perception regarding Toronto as a destination for free agents.

3. statslady - Oct 25, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Thank you, NO.

There’s iss’t a team of any type anywhere on this planet that under any circumstances needs Manny Ramirez and his antics.

• pisano - Oct 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Good for you statslady , professorperry thinks Manny the moron won those two titles all by himself . That pos is worried and rightly so that no one will pick his dumb ass up . He is another Gary Sheffield , team will put up with their crap as long as they’re putting up big numbers , but when they start to decline teams aren’t so big on their BS . I only hope no one picks him up and he’s out of baseball . The bullshit he pulled on the Sox is unforgivable . He’s a total ingrate .

4. Kevin Daly, Senior Writer - Oct 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Is Canada Ready for Manny? http://networkedblogs.com/9D4pn

5. sexyya - Oct 25, 2010 at 8:41 PM

OMG, I was just thinking about this today. I must be psychic. I thought this afternoon that Manny and the Jays will be a good fit and now I read this? Wow. I think Manny will be awesome in a Jays uniform. I believe his best numbers are in the Skydome/Rogers Center. And I also believe he owns the most HRs in that park if I am not mistaken. Now that he is deteoriating (sp?), I think Rogers Center will be a fairl easy ballpark for him to play in. I hope the Jays make this happen.

6. missamyg - Oct 25, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Not to take anything away from Canada, but if Manny wants to play there it is probably fro some tax advantage. Being a Bostonian, I had a front row seat to his final implosion here. He is truly one of the most selfish people around. He refused to go to Walter Reed hospital with the rest of the team when they went to the White House for a reception for the World Series.

He makes it all sound like a joke when he blows thing like that off but he is not as stupid as he appears. All he cares about is money, money, money. Whereevr he goes he will get off a comment like TO “Man, I feel like I am playing for free” when he is earning 2MIL a year.

If he goes to the Blue Jays enjoy his first couple of months when it all seems funny, it will get serious soon enough.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM

This is all a lot of fun. I have no idea if the Jays want him. I doubt that they have looked at him yet. He would have to be the DH (with Lind moving to first base) and he would have to come cheap. In listening to the Jays press conference today, it appears that the Jays want to try to manufacture more runs next season rather than try for 3 run homers. I am not sure that Manny fits into that style of play. On the other hand, if he came cheap and was on a 1 year contract, I am sure that they would look at him.

7. sexyya - Oct 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM

missamyg, what tax advantage? I do believe Toronto holds the 2nd highest tax burden on ballplayers, next to New York.

8. Jeremiah Graves - Oct 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM

It looks like Thome is going to walk and earn some real money. Kubel is a questionable guy to keep around giving his seemingly limited ceiling and flexibility.

Maybe Manny makes sense in Minnesota on a 1yr/$2M kinda deal?! It’d give the team a solid right-handed power bat and if Morneau is healthy, they’d have some serious thump in the middle of the order.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I actually agree with this one, but Minnesota should try to keep Thome first.

9. rabiague1986 - Oct 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Stay away Toronto. Jays could use some more speed if you ask me and if they want to contend next year don’t know if Kevin Gregg should close for you.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3873)