Oct 25, 2010, 9:38 AM EST
I blame Kevin Millar and all of that “idiots” stuff for this. Or maybe one of those Super Bowl teams who sang songs gets the ultimate blame. Heck, maybe it goes back to when the Dodgers were “bums.” Regardless, it seems that any time even a slight underdog progresses in the postseason, they get a catch phrase or a nickname or something. The 2010 Giants get “knuckleheads”:
As the regular season drew to a close, this reporter tried to put a finger on why San Francisco was falling in love with these Giants.
Yeah, they played hard, maybe over their heads at times, but many of these guys were newcomers who arrived recently from all points. The team that will represent the National League in the 2010 World Series was not the team the fans thought they were buying into.
Then, it became clear. These Giants are not necessarily guys you want to share a beer with. They’re guys you would ask to help you toilet-paper someone’s house, and that makes them likeable.
. . . Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt is a knucklehead. Sometimes he wears a Waffle House ball cap. Sometimes he wears a cap that says, “Douchefeldt.” On Saturday, he would have been justified wearing a cap that read, “Hero.”
It goes on to explain how several members of the team don’t appear to be knuckleheads but really are. Mostly, though, it’s just a cataloging of quirks, which every team has.
People like this stuff, I guess. Someone will print up some t-shirts, I’m sure. If they win it all, the author of this article probably has dibs on “Knuckleheads: how a collection of misfits and washups won the World Series” as the title of his quickie book, or something close to it. More power to him if he does write it.
I just wish we didn’t have so many damn days off between the end of the LCS and the start of the World Series. I want more baseball and fewer storylines.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 214
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (206)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)