Would this really be that bad, Yankees fans?

Oct 25, 2010, 8:27 AM EST

Jeter Red Sox

Lolcoeur was my creation, but I’ll admit, it wasn’t nearly as striking as this baby.

I believe one of my colleagues at NBC created that and that it was used on Sunday Night Football last night. I wouldn’t know because I decided to finally start watching “Breaking Bad” on DVD and thus neglected to tune in to the football game.  Actually, even if I wasn’t watching “Breaking Bad” I would have neglected to tune into the football game because, you know, it’s football.

Anyway, I’m assuming it was used to illustrate to the nation what Brett Favre in a Vikings uniform looks like to Packers fans.  If this was a scare tactic it probably backfired. Smart Yankees fans know that, like Favre playing for Minnesota, current vintage Derek Jeter in a Red Sox uniform would only help, not hinder, their own team’s playoff chances.

1. Kevin S. - Oct 25, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Sure, but current Packer fans have gone from revering Favre to booing him for the mercenary he is. I’d rather not go through that.

2. cshearing - Oct 25, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Breaking Bad is awesome :)

3. BC - Oct 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Boston already has The Legend That Is Marco Scutaro (ex-Met). Why get a second 37-year-old SS? Especially one that can’t hit any more?

4. Professor Longnose - Oct 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I doubt very much the Red Sox would be interested. As a Yankee fan, I would like Jeter to stay, with the understanding that his playing time would start to diminsh.

Actually, I’d like to see him become player-manager, and start transitioning to full-time manager.

• cintiphil - Oct 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Professor, you are partly correct. Jeter is on the way down, but he is not necessarily the pick for next manager. Who knows who will make a great manager.Cox and TLR were not in the star class as Jeter or A-Rod, but no manager today won more games? Also, did you ever hear of the exploits of Casey Stengel as a player? Pete Rose was a terrible manager as were most great players in history. Musial had the good sense not trying to manage on the field, but went into the front office for a time.

• Professor Longnose - Oct 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Sure, no guarantee Jeter would make a good manager. But managing today is mostly clubhouse control, with few managers even pretending to be seriously interested in on-field strategy. Jeter probably is a reasonable bet to handle the job decently, and as manager he’d be in the best position for the Yankees to get the most of his icon value.

Worth a shot.

5. mcsnide - Oct 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM

This kind of thing cracks me up. If they wanted to make that comparison, why not just show the real-life morph of Clemens from Red Sox to Yankees? or Damon? or whatever. The point is, you don’t have to imagine how the fan base would react. We know already.

6. pisano - Oct 25, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I don’t know the stats , but I’ll bet there wasn’t much difference between Jeter and Scutaro , that’s how far Jeter has back peddled. I’ll bet Jeter struck out alot more though .

• mcsnide - Oct 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Good call. They were almost identical offensively, except Jeter struck out 35 times more. He was, however, much more of a SB threat, swiping 18 of 23 vs. 5 of 9 for Scutaro. If you believe the advanced fielding metrics (and while they’re a definite improvement on fielding %, I’m not sure how much I buy into them), they’re basically a wash defensively. Overall, fWAR has Jeter at 2.5 and Scutaro at 2.1 for 2010. But, oh, Jeter’s 2009… Plus, well, he’s Derek Effing Jeter.

• pisano - Oct 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Thanks for the info , but from this point on I think Scutaro has more left in his tank . My point is if the Yankees give him more than a one year contract they’re gambling big time . They should do with Jeter as they’ve done with Pettitte , one year at a time at middle of the road money . It’s not like teams are waiting to go after him . Look how they screwed themselves with giving Posada that big contract when he was 36 years old , that hurts now . Posada is a classic example , he can’t catch anymore so now your stuck with a everyday DH that hit 248 last year . The Yankees let these guys get old on them and now they’re stuck with them. Then add A.J. and Joba two useless arms and Mr. Cashman has alot of work in front of him . Good Luck.

• mcsnide - Oct 26, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Right. From a strictly baseball sense, Jeter should get something like $15-18 mil over 2 years and be phased out, assuming there’s somebody in their farm system worth phasing him out for. From a PR standpoint, the Yankees probably have to double that annually and throw in another year.
        As a Red Sox fan, that makes me happy. Not that Theo doesn’t have his own albatross contracts – I’m really skeptical that Lackey and Beckett will live up to their deals. But we were talking about your problems, not mine. If the Yankees are smart and Jeter’s ego will allow it, a deal like Wakefield had with the Red Sox (annual mutual option for $5 mil) would be the way to go.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester