Oct 25, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
And because a zillion people have asked me already, no I am not suffering any existential angst by virtue of my arch nemesis, Jeff Francoeur, making it to the World Series. If anything, it’s the best thing possible. Why? Because my frustration with Francoeur has always had less to do with him personally — though, believe me, he was frustrating — than it has to do with the Francoeur Industrial Complex, epitomized by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and more recently the New York tabloids who worked overtime to play this guy up as an emerging superstar against all evidence to the contrary. Meanwhile, for the better part of five years I and other like-minded souls have argued that he’d only be acceptable as a backup outfielder deployed as a defensive replacement and occasional fill-in against lefties.
Now that he is on a team that has placed him in that role, he has found success. This is not a coincidence. And hopefully, it’s a learning experience for everyone.
Oh, and here’s a nice runner-up Photo of the Weekend.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)