Oct 26, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
Back in July I was really, really impressed with Bengie Molina’s blog post reflecting on his trade from the Giants to the Rangers. Today I’m equally impressed by his post about returning to San Francisco for the World Series and his thoughts about coming up big in the postseason. Having the blog suits him. He’s direct and honest and everything a good writer should be.
As for the details, I love the fact that he poured beer on his wife’s head in the locker room after the Rangers won the pennant. This part, reflecting on his big home run in Yankee Stadium, is fun too:
When reporters talked to me afterward, I made a comment like, “Not bad for the fat kid who everyone made fun of for being so slow.” I was joking but I have to say there was a lot of satisfaction in proving people wrong about me. When I warmed up the starting pitchers during our games in Yankee Stadium, fans near the bullpen chanted, “Ben-gie’s fat! Ben-gie’s fat!” It was kind of funny, of course. They sounded like fourth-graders in the playground. The best part was they chanted in English AND in Spanish to make sure I was absolutely clear about what they were saying. So to drive in the go-ahead runs in front of those fans put a smile on my face.
I have only one bit of trepidation out of all of this: Molina notes that brothers Yadier and Jose will be in Texas for Games 3 and 4. This is scary. Because I’m pretty sure that when they come together like that they form MolinaTron, and God help us all if that happens.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)