Oct 26, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
Back in July I was really, really impressed with Bengie Molina’s blog post reflecting on his trade from the Giants to the Rangers. Today I’m equally impressed by his post about returning to San Francisco for the World Series and his thoughts about coming up big in the postseason. Having the blog suits him. He’s direct and honest and everything a good writer should be.
As for the details, I love the fact that he poured beer on his wife’s head in the locker room after the Rangers won the pennant. This part, reflecting on his big home run in Yankee Stadium, is fun too:
When reporters talked to me afterward, I made a comment like, “Not bad for the fat kid who everyone made fun of for being so slow.” I was joking but I have to say there was a lot of satisfaction in proving people wrong about me. When I warmed up the starting pitchers during our games in Yankee Stadium, fans near the bullpen chanted, “Ben-gie’s fat! Ben-gie’s fat!” It was kind of funny, of course. They sounded like fourth-graders in the playground. The best part was they chanted in English AND in Spanish to make sure I was absolutely clear about what they were saying. So to drive in the go-ahead runs in front of those fans put a smile on my face.
I have only one bit of trepidation out of all of this: Molina notes that brothers Yadier and Jose will be in Texas for Games 3 and 4. This is scary. Because I’m pretty sure that when they come together like that they form MolinaTron, and God help us all if that happens.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)