Oct 26, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
Back in July I was really, really impressed with Bengie Molina’s blog post reflecting on his trade from the Giants to the Rangers. Today I’m equally impressed by his post about returning to San Francisco for the World Series and his thoughts about coming up big in the postseason. Having the blog suits him. He’s direct and honest and everything a good writer should be.
As for the details, I love the fact that he poured beer on his wife’s head in the locker room after the Rangers won the pennant. This part, reflecting on his big home run in Yankee Stadium, is fun too:
When reporters talked to me afterward, I made a comment like, “Not bad for the fat kid who everyone made fun of for being so slow.” I was joking but I have to say there was a lot of satisfaction in proving people wrong about me. When I warmed up the starting pitchers during our games in Yankee Stadium, fans near the bullpen chanted, “Ben-gie’s fat! Ben-gie’s fat!” It was kind of funny, of course. They sounded like fourth-graders in the playground. The best part was they chanted in English AND in Spanish to make sure I was absolutely clear about what they were saying. So to drive in the go-ahead runs in front of those fans put a smile on my face.
I have only one bit of trepidation out of all of this: Molina notes that brothers Yadier and Jose will be in Texas for Games 3 and 4. This is scary. Because I’m pretty sure that when they come together like that they form MolinaTron, and God help us all if that happens.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 13
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 34
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)