Oct 26, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
Back in July I was really, really impressed with Bengie Molina’s blog post reflecting on his trade from the Giants to the Rangers. Today I’m equally impressed by his post about returning to San Francisco for the World Series and his thoughts about coming up big in the postseason. Having the blog suits him. He’s direct and honest and everything a good writer should be.
As for the details, I love the fact that he poured beer on his wife’s head in the locker room after the Rangers won the pennant. This part, reflecting on his big home run in Yankee Stadium, is fun too:
When reporters talked to me afterward, I made a comment like, “Not bad for the fat kid who everyone made fun of for being so slow.” I was joking but I have to say there was a lot of satisfaction in proving people wrong about me. When I warmed up the starting pitchers during our games in Yankee Stadium, fans near the bullpen chanted, “Ben-gie’s fat! Ben-gie’s fat!” It was kind of funny, of course. They sounded like fourth-graders in the playground. The best part was they chanted in English AND in Spanish to make sure I was absolutely clear about what they were saying. So to drive in the go-ahead runs in front of those fans put a smile on my face.
I have only one bit of trepidation out of all of this: Molina notes that brothers Yadier and Jose will be in Texas for Games 3 and 4. This is scary. Because I’m pretty sure that when they come together like that they form MolinaTron, and God help us all if that happens.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)