Oct 26, 2010, 9:37 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine may not end up with a managerial job at all this winter, but he’s darn sure going to be rumored for all of them.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com “keeps hearing” that Bobby V is a finalist to be the Brewers’ next manager.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported on Saturday that the Brewers were considering four candidates for the job, but he was only able to confirm former Diamondbacks and Mariners manager Bob Melvin and White Sox bench coach Joey Cora. So far, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin has tried to keep the whole process under wraps. Haudricourt guessed that Angels bench coach Ron Roenicke was the third candidate for the job, so perhaps Valentine is the fourth.
Milwaukee obviously presents a better chance of winning than Seattle, for example, at least in the short-term, but Rosenthal appears skeptical about whether the Brewers will be able to afford Valentine and/or if he would even be willing to accept the position. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Valentine enjoyed meeting with the Brewers’ people, but said that he didn’t expect to get the job.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)