Girardi expected to get a three-year contract extension

Oct 26, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT

Texas Rangers v New York Yankees, Game 3 Getty Images

Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees are expected to give manager Joe Girardi a three-year contract extension. He’s expected to get $3 million a year.

This is pretty much a no-brainer. Whatever issues anyone had with Girardi during the postseason, he has done a remarkable job managing the Yankees in my view. Despite the usual pressure of New York and despite a lot of guys (i.e. A.J. Burnett, Joba Chamberlain) being moved around or benched or what have you, the clubhouse has remained a seemingly peaceful and even downright harmonious place. Even if he walks a guy when you or I wouldn’t, Girardi deserves credit for that.

And really: who else could the Yankees possibly hire to replace him? One of the things that made letting Torre go possible a couple of years ago was the availability of Girardi.  At the moment there is no obvious heir to the job that I can see.

1. yankeesfanlen - Oct 26, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Quite correct, at least we can say “Whew, we dodged a bullet not getting Mattingly” , which would have meant campaigning for Jeter to play until he was 47 and Rivera til 51 years ago, which he might be able to do.
    The corporate face on Girardi will get us through a post season with a better team.

2. farout39 - Oct 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

it’s not gonna get better unless A-Rod & Texiera ever hit in the playoffs – these guys are expected to create runs & they both stunk in the playoffs this year – kinda reminds me of Dave Winfield -

• yankeesfanlen - Oct 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM

You name them and they didn’t hit, except Cano and the much-improved Granderson. Next year, as I expounded for ’10, we need Posada, ARod and Jeter on DH, not a Giambi-like first baseman who hasn’t hit in 5 years.

• Kevin S. - Oct 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM

There are two issues with the rotating DH. One, you probably need a super-utility guy who has a half-decent bat. Two, while Jeter is still a good player as a shortstop, he would have been replacement level as a DH this year. None of this giving guys a half-day off bullshit. You already have Eduardo Nunez’s (or whoever’s) bat in the lineup at short. Don’t compound the problem by having Jeter at DH instead of bringing in a guy who’s a better hitter to be the full-time DH>

• yankeesfanlen - Oct 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Kevin, while I agree in principle with what you’re saying, we’re not real good on picking them (C’mon, Nick Johnson and Lance Berkman?) So, something has to be done with what we have.

• osmodious - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM

It was an even numbered year, of course ARod didn’t hit in the playoffs (and his season stats, though not poor, were not congruent with his talent). Sounds silly, I know…but look at his stats (and awards), he is much better in odd numbered years!
      If you could figure out why, he’d probably pay you good money to let him know…
      Os.

3. sdelmonte - Oct 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I look at him and see a run of the mill manager who had no idea how to handle a bullpen and who hasn’t done anything to prove his skills. I am convinced that if you swapped him with Jerry Manuel, the end result would have been about the same for both teams.

There’s no reason to fire him, but there isn’t any reason to give him a long extension, either. Then again, in the current model, I don’t know if managers matter that much. Cashman (or Theo or Pick Your GM) is the real boss, and to a large degree the manager is just a cog in the machine.

• Kevin S. - Oct 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM

A) Jerry Manuel is a clueless buffoon.

B) Girardi may not be the best at leveraging his relievers, but he keeps ‘em healthy. After the twelve-year reign of Joe the Arm Shredder, I’ll take that.

4. willmose - Oct 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I don’t know. I’d sure like to try my hand at manage a $220+ million baseball team. What is it that Jim Leyland says, “Give me the talent”. Sorry, but when you have the Yankees’ payroll you ought to at least with the division.

Three legends off to Cooperstown