Oct 26, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
You wouldn’t know it based on his homering four times in six games against the Yankees, but Josh Hamilton played the ALCS while still somewhat limited by the fractured ribs that caused him to miss nearly all of September.
Unfortunately for the Giants, the MVP candidate said yesterday that he’s now close to 100 percent healthy six weeks after suffering the injury while crashing into the outfield wall in Minnesota.
Here’s what Hamilton told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com:
I’m pretty sure the breaks have healed up. The muscle is there at times, but it’s not affecting anything on the field. Every once in a while I feel the muscle, but I just keep it loose and massaged good and it’s fine. You do all that preparation as a precautionary thing so you don’t get hurt and you can play 162 games. I think I’ve really come up with a plan that works, minus hitting any walls.
Hamilton was just 2-for-18 (.111) with six strikeouts in the ALDS win over the Rays, but went 7-for-20 (.350) with four homers, three steals, seven RBIs, and five intentional walks in the ALCS thrashing of the Yankees.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)