Oct 26, 2010, 1:49 PM EST
You wouldn’t know it based on his homering four times in six games against the Yankees, but Josh Hamilton played the ALCS while still somewhat limited by the fractured ribs that caused him to miss nearly all of September.
Unfortunately for the Giants, the MVP candidate said yesterday that he’s now close to 100 percent healthy six weeks after suffering the injury while crashing into the outfield wall in Minnesota.
Here’s what Hamilton told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com:
I’m pretty sure the breaks have healed up. The muscle is there at times, but it’s not affecting anything on the field. Every once in a while I feel the muscle, but I just keep it loose and massaged good and it’s fine. You do all that preparation as a precautionary thing so you don’t get hurt and you can play 162 games. I think I’ve really come up with a plan that works, minus hitting any walls.
Hamilton was just 2-for-18 (.111) with six strikeouts in the ALDS win over the Rays, but went 7-for-20 (.350) with four homers, three steals, seven RBIs, and five intentional walks in the ALCS thrashing of the Yankees.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 50
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 137
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)