Oct 26, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
Today the MLB players association released the list of 30 candidates for their annual “Heart and Hustle” award that’s “presented to an active player who demonstrates a passion for the game of baseball and best embodies the values, spirit, and traditions of the game.”
A few things about the candidates list stood out to me …
• Matt Kemp is the Dodgers’ candidate, which is pretty extraordinary given that his own general manager publicly criticized his lack of hustle throughout the season. His heart must be off the charts to make up for it. Or something.
• Dustin Pedroia is the Red Sox’s candidate. His “heart” was so big that he missed the final 40 games of the season after trying to play through a foot injury that worsened. He did show a lot of “hustle” by taking infield reps from his knees while on the disabled list.
• Pablo Sandoval is the Giants’ candidate, which is a remarkable accomplishment for a 5-foot-11, 250-pound man who runs the bases like he’s wearing skates.
• I’m not sure if Twins candidate Nick Punto deserves the “heart and hustle” award but I’d certainly be in favor of giving him the “false hustle” award for sliding head-first into first base on every close play this decade.
• Of the 30 candidates listed, 17 of them can probably be described as “white guys.” Most of the time in surveys about “hustle” or its various synonyms Caucasians unfortunately tend to dominate, but in this case that’s right around MLB’s overall “white guy” population. Not surprisingly, the inaugural winner of the award back in 2005 was David Eckstein, but in fairness Albert Pujols was the winner last season.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
Ryan Ludwick didn’t hit much during Cactus League play, resulting in the Rangers releasing him on Sunday.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Nick Martinez beat out the field to win the final spot in the Rangers’ starting rotation.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Mike Pelfrey took back his comments about being happy with a trade to a team that would use him as a starter.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Ben Revere broke a promise to Rajai Davis when the Phillies’ left fielder robbed a home run.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Nationals reliever Casey Janssen is dealing with more shoulder problems, which could lead to a stint on the disabled list.
Mar 29, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
Dan Uggla, who is having a strong spring training showing, says he wouldn’t be comfortable sitting on the Nationals’ bench.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg shook up his outfield a bit on Sunday, announcing that Ben Revere would be moving to left field.
Mar 29, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
Hamels tossed five scoreless innings in his latest Grapefruit League start. He’ll take on the Red Sox on April 6 — a team he has been connected to in trade talks throughout the offseason.
Mar 29, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Ryan Hanigan is expected to open the season as Boston’s starting catcher. And season-ending surgery for Vazquez would likely accelerate the timetable for top prospect Blake Swihart’s debut.
Mar 29, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
Uehara originally strained his right hamstring on March 17 while doing conditioning drills in Red Sox camp.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Russell Wilson spent nearly seven minutes with the Rangers’ television crew on Saturday …
Mar 29, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
According to Sean McAdam of CSN New England, the Red Sox have named right-hander Clay Buchholz their Opening Day starter.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
Jose Fernandez would have been given the nod, but he’s not expected to be recovered from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery until sometime in June.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Mark Bowman reports that the Braves have released left-hander James Russell.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT
Let Marlins outfielder Ichiro Suzuki tell you how being a free agent is like being a puppy in a pet shop.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Promising Mariners pitching prospect Victor Sanchez died on Saturday night after he was involved in an unfortunate boating accident in February.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
Outfielder Nate Schierholtz is a free agent again, opting out of his contract with the Rangers after a disappointing spring showing.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
Two baseball superstars put their talented display in spring training action on Saturday afternoon.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
More shoulder problems for Jaime Garcia, who has made 16 combined starts since the beginning of the 2013 season.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Shane Victorino didn’t like the way a pair of radio personalities in Boston interpreted his desire to see the Red Sox acquire Cole Hamels from the Phillies.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)