Oct 26, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
Today the MLB players association released the list of 30 candidates for their annual “Heart and Hustle” award that’s “presented to an active player who demonstrates a passion for the game of baseball and best embodies the values, spirit, and traditions of the game.”
A few things about the candidates list stood out to me …
• Matt Kemp is the Dodgers’ candidate, which is pretty extraordinary given that his own general manager publicly criticized his lack of hustle throughout the season. His heart must be off the charts to make up for it. Or something.
• Dustin Pedroia is the Red Sox’s candidate. His “heart” was so big that he missed the final 40 games of the season after trying to play through a foot injury that worsened. He did show a lot of “hustle” by taking infield reps from his knees while on the disabled list.
• Pablo Sandoval is the Giants’ candidate, which is a remarkable accomplishment for a 5-foot-11, 250-pound man who runs the bases like he’s wearing skates.
• I’m not sure if Twins candidate Nick Punto deserves the “heart and hustle” award but I’d certainly be in favor of giving him the “false hustle” award for sliding head-first into first base on every close play this decade.
• Of the 30 candidates listed, 17 of them can probably be described as “white guys.” Most of the time in surveys about “hustle” or its various synonyms Caucasians unfortunately tend to dominate, but in this case that’s right around MLB’s overall “white guy” population. Not surprisingly, the inaugural winner of the award back in 2005 was David Eckstein, but in fairness Albert Pujols was the winner last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
And once again, there’s no A-Rod to be found.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The starters for the 2015 MLB All-Star Game were announced on Sunday, so now it’s time to learn the pitchers and reserves who have been selected to represent the American League and National League at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati on Tuesday, July 14…
Jul 6, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
Jacoby Ellsbury has been out since May 19 with a sprained right knee.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:04 PM EDT
Trade seems likely.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:26 PM EDT
Note: without the ‘fro, Gamble is just sort of blankly staring at you. We know this now.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
Harrison has struggled to duplicate his breakout 2014 performance.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera’s fill-in?
Jul 6, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
Garza signed a four-year, $50 million deal with Milwaukee last offseason .
Jul 6, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
Mitchell Lambson is a lefty reliever who has split time at Double-A and Triple-A so far this year.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT
His inexplicably bad 2015 is now somewhat exsplicable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
He’s hit just .233 with a .640 OPS through 166 career games.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Maybin is hitting .294/.363.416 with seven homers, 39 RBI and 15 steals.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
A Bill Heywood must be allowed to speak his mind.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
In-game interviews are usually dumb. But last night one was at least funny.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Werth has been out with a fractured wrist since being hit by pitch on May 15.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
They don’t like it. He doesn’t care. He’s right not to.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
And it flutters differently every time.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:29 AM EDT
What a world we live in these days.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:03 AM EDT
Justin Verlander, doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.
Jul 5, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Jake Marisnick isn’t afraid of the Green Monster.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)