On this day in 1991: “And we’ll see you … tomorrow night!”

Oct 26, 2010, 11:19 AM EDT

kirby puckett game 6 1991

While we wait for this year’s World Series to begin, it’s worth noting that on this day in 1991 the Twins and Braves played a Game 6 of the World Series that ranks as one of the greatest in baseball history.

With the score tied 3-3 in the 11th inning Charlie Leibrandt served up a walk-off homer to Kirby Puckett as CBS announcer Jack Buck exclaimed: “And we’ll see you … tomorrow night!”

One of the greatest games of all time. One of the greatest home run calls of all time. And a little reminder that the World Series used to begin a whole lot earlier.

(Note: This is probably Calcaterra’s least-favorite post in Hardball Talk history. Until tomorrow, when I recap what happened on October 27, 1991.)

1. Utley's Hair - Oct 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Keep it coming, Aaron. Craig breaks out the giddy-as-a-schoolgirl picture of Josephine Carter every chance he gets, so keep it coming.

2. alexo0 - Oct 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Jack Buck’s television call was amazing, but my personal favorite is the radio call by John Gordon. The way his voice, repeatedly crying out “Touch ‘em all Kirby Puckett!”, seems to become overwhelmed by the insane Metrodome crowd, gives me chills every time I hear it.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 26, 2010 at 11:54 AM

BOOOO! That day sucked.

4. Kevin S. - Oct 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM

This call made Joe Posnanski’s list of 32 greatest sports calls (though I think it wound up being something like 35). The entire list is definitely worth a read/watch/listen.

5. granted42 - Oct 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I would think that any post in HBT that mentions Jim Leyritz would rank lower than this one for Mr. Calcaterra.

6. jasonc2300 - Oct 26, 2010 at 1:15 PM

And on this day in 2005, the White Sox won the World Series. I eagerly await your post on that, Aaron…

7. BC - Oct 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Gene Larkin rules.

All the trade deadline news to know