Oct 26, 2010, 11:16 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Mets will hire Sandy Alderson as general manager. Worst kept secret ever? Expect an official announcement later this week, likely on Friday.
I have lived — and suffered — through the Mets making some pretty stupid decisions in my lifetime, but I really believe this will not be one of them.
Oh, who am I kidding? Even if it turns out to be yet another train wreck, you can count on me coming back for more.
8:35 PM: Former Athletics general manager and Padres CEO Sandy Alderson had his second interview — and third meeting — for the Mets’ general manager vacancy earlier today. Like former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes did yesterday, Alderson met with Mets owner Fred Wilpon, team president Saul Katz, and COO Jeff Wilpon.
Jeff Wilpon released the following statement at the completion of the day, according to the team’s Twitter feed.
“We will have no further comment on the process until we are ready to announce our new General Manager.”
Various media outlets expect the Mets to make an official announcement when the World Series has an off-day on Friday, though news will likely leak sooner. If you’ve followed this process at all, many have classified Alderson’s hiring as a foregone conclusion.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)