Oct 26, 2010, 11:16 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Mets will hire Sandy Alderson as general manager. Worst kept secret ever? Expect an official announcement later this week, likely on Friday.
I have lived — and suffered — through the Mets making some pretty stupid decisions in my lifetime, but I really believe this will not be one of them.
Oh, who am I kidding? Even if it turns out to be yet another train wreck, you can count on me coming back for more.
8:35 PM: Former Athletics general manager and Padres CEO Sandy Alderson had his second interview — and third meeting — for the Mets’ general manager vacancy earlier today. Like former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes did yesterday, Alderson met with Mets owner Fred Wilpon, team president Saul Katz, and COO Jeff Wilpon.
Jeff Wilpon released the following statement at the completion of the day, according to the team’s Twitter feed.
“We will have no further comment on the process until we are ready to announce our new General Manager.”
Various media outlets expect the Mets to make an official announcement when the World Series has an off-day on Friday, though news will likely leak sooner. If you’ve followed this process at all, many have classified Alderson’s hiring as a foregone conclusion.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 49
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)