Oct 26, 2010, 11:16 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Mets will hire Sandy Alderson as general manager. Worst kept secret ever? Expect an official announcement later this week, likely on Friday.
I have lived — and suffered — through the Mets making some pretty stupid decisions in my lifetime, but I really believe this will not be one of them.
Oh, who am I kidding? Even if it turns out to be yet another train wreck, you can count on me coming back for more.
8:35 PM: Former Athletics general manager and Padres CEO Sandy Alderson had his second interview — and third meeting — for the Mets’ general manager vacancy earlier today. Like former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes did yesterday, Alderson met with Mets owner Fred Wilpon, team president Saul Katz, and COO Jeff Wilpon.
Jeff Wilpon released the following statement at the completion of the day, according to the team’s Twitter feed.
“We will have no further comment on the process until we are ready to announce our new General Manager.”
Various media outlets expect the Mets to make an official announcement when the World Series has an off-day on Friday, though news will likely leak sooner. If you’ve followed this process at all, many have classified Alderson’s hiring as a foregone conclusion.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 31
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 6
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)