Oct 26, 2010, 11:16 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Mets will hire Sandy Alderson as general manager. Worst kept secret ever? Expect an official announcement later this week, likely on Friday.
I have lived — and suffered — through the Mets making some pretty stupid decisions in my lifetime, but I really believe this will not be one of them.
Oh, who am I kidding? Even if it turns out to be yet another train wreck, you can count on me coming back for more.
8:35 PM: Former Athletics general manager and Padres CEO Sandy Alderson had his second interview — and third meeting — for the Mets’ general manager vacancy earlier today. Like former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes did yesterday, Alderson met with Mets owner Fred Wilpon, team president Saul Katz, and COO Jeff Wilpon.
Jeff Wilpon released the following statement at the completion of the day, according to the team’s Twitter feed.
“We will have no further comment on the process until we are ready to announce our new General Manager.”
Various media outlets expect the Mets to make an official announcement when the World Series has an off-day on Friday, though news will likely leak sooner. If you’ve followed this process at all, many have classified Alderson’s hiring as a foregone conclusion.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 26
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 149
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (150)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (89)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (71)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)