The best World Series preview you’ll read all day

Oct 26, 2010, 8:38 AM EDT

crystal ball

It’s from Jeff Sullivan at Lookout Landing, and he pretty much nails it:

Both the Giants and Rangers are good teams. The Rangers are probably better by a tiny bit. If you re-played the World Series a million times, maybe 50-55% of the time the Rangers would be crowned as champions. This World Series will be played once. One of these teams will win four games. The other probably won’t. The outcome will mean everything, and nothing.

His comments on the key players and key questions is pretty much spot on too.  Anyone who writes anything else about it is basically guessing and talking to hear themselves talk.  And that goes for us too. Why? Because you can’t predict baseball. Even if it’s fun to pretend you can.

1. joepags - Oct 26, 2010 at 9:15 AM

funny that no one will give a crap about this WS!!! baseball season is over. t.v. worst ratings nightmare!!

• lukehart80 - Oct 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Not as many people in New York or Philadelphia will give a crap, but why should that matter to anyone who IS interested? Unless you think lower ratings are leading to a day when no network chooses to air the World Series, what’s the difference for fans?

2. Jonny 5 - Oct 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM

That was the best WS preview EVER! I mean, it was closest to reality anyway. So I now predict Texas to win it all in 5 games. I just think they’ll be able to outscore SF almost every night. I’m breaking my own rule for the first time ever. I’m going to root for an AL team. I can’t help it. As of right now, I really hate SF. And Texas has Cliff Lee, who is just sooo dreamy… Anyway, Texas in 5.

AND SHUT UP ABOUT RATINGS!! NO ONE GIVES A FLYING BATS ASS WHAT RATINGS ARE!! I think this is a jaded Yankee fan’s only retort to not getting what they deserve, another WS. I hear it too much.

• osmodious - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I’m a Yankee fan and I couldn’t possibly care any less about the ratings. I think you’d find, if you actually talked to any or attended games at Yankee Stadium, that most Yankee fans are actually baseball fans, too. We all get a bad rap because of a few loudmouths, but I have seen some things at the Stadium that warm the baseball fan’s heart…for example, when someone is slumping, they do get booed…AFTER they fail again. Coming up to the plate, they get cheers of encouragement. When former Yankees come back in other uniforms, they get a nice ovation (a great one if they were a great Yankee)…other teams’ fans boo, even if the departure wasn’t the player’s fault. I’ve seen other teams’ players get ovations for a great play, too.

Anyway, the ratings will be low, but possibly not Rays/Phillies low. Texans watch football, the middle of the country doesn’t care about either team, the SoCal area actively dislikes SF, and the East Coast is…well, I’m not sure. Perhaps hoping that the Rangers win so it doesn’t hurt so much that they beat us…

3. thinman61 - Oct 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

A great preview. And yeah, a Rangers/Giants world series is bad for ratings, but good for baseball.

4. Utley's Hair - Oct 26, 2010 at 8:53 PM

“One of these teams will win four games. The other probably won’t.”

Well, you most certainly can’t argue with that assertion, now can you?

5. mvd513 - Oct 27, 2010 at 3:14 AM

If people from New York and Philadelphia, or any city, dont watch the World Series, then they arent real baseball fans.

• osmodious - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM

That’s a little harsh.

Maybe they dislike Joe Schmuck and Tim McCretin so much that they will avoid the broadcasts. Or, perhaps, they have Cablevision and therefore cannot easily watch the games (that they almost specifically bought a large HDTV to watch, not that I’m bitter). Or, maybe they are so sick and tired of Faux Sports’ overall lousy coverage, inane analysis and yellow-journalistic storylines that they have decided to boycott. Maybe they are NHL or NBA fans and want to see the beginning of their respective seasons, since their favorite baseball team is out of it. Maybe all of the above.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet