Oct 26, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
They way I heard it — I’m assuming from Paul Lukas, bit it could have come from someone else — was that the Nats’ home uniforms were originally going to look just as they do now, but that the cap was going to have a blocky W that matched the jersey font. Someone — maybe someone in MLB marketing — saw this and freaked out that the old Senators’ script W wasn’t going to be used. Not long afterwards the team caved and we have the mismatch we have all come to know and love. There was even a pic of the prototype block W cap accompanying the article if I remember correctly, but I can’t find it.
Anyway: the mismatch is about to be no more. The Nats are going to unveil new uniforms in a couple of weeks, and the big design change is going to be that the word “Nationals” on the jerseys will switch to a script font to match the curly Ws. The current road uniforms — which look a hell of a lot better than the home uniforms if you ask me — already have the script font.
I consider this to be progress.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)