Oct 26, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
They way I heard it — I’m assuming from Paul Lukas, bit it could have come from someone else — was that the Nats’ home uniforms were originally going to look just as they do now, but that the cap was going to have a blocky W that matched the jersey font. Someone — maybe someone in MLB marketing — saw this and freaked out that the old Senators’ script W wasn’t going to be used. Not long afterwards the team caved and we have the mismatch we have all come to know and love. There was even a pic of the prototype block W cap accompanying the article if I remember correctly, but I can’t find it.
Anyway: the mismatch is about to be no more. The Nats are going to unveil new uniforms in a couple of weeks, and the big design change is going to be that the word “Nationals” on the jerseys will switch to a script font to match the curly Ws. The current road uniforms — which look a hell of a lot better than the home uniforms if you ask me — already have the script font.
I consider this to be progress.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 8
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 96
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (103)