Oct 26, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
GEORGE: You know Keith, what I’ve always wondered, with all these ball clubs flying around all season don’t you think there would be a plane crash? If you think about it . . . 26 teams, 162 games a season, you’d think
eventually an entire team would get wiped out. It’s only a matter of time:
The plane carrying the Phillies back from San Francisco Friday morning had a close call while trying to land at Philadelphia International Airport.
Eyewitness News has learned the Phillies’ chartered Delta 747 was just seconds away from landing when an air traffic controller told another plane to move onto the runway for takeoff. The Phillies’ plane in fact was closer than FAA guidelines generally allow.
Thankfully everything turned out OK.
In other news, how cool is it that a baseball team get a 747? They hold like 400 people. Even if you trick the thing out for maximum luxury with big seats and stuff, they still hold, what, 150 or 200? What’s the size of the team + traveling entourage? Not that big I don’t figure, even for the playoffs. I guess what I’m driving at here is that the Phillies playoff plane could have had a dance floor in the thing, and unless and until I’m told otherwise, I’m going to assume that it did.
(thanks to Jonny for the heads up)
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)