Oct 26, 2010, 9:06 AM EST
GEORGE: You know Keith, what I’ve always wondered, with all these ball clubs flying around all season don’t you think there would be a plane crash? If you think about it . . . 26 teams, 162 games a season, you’d think
eventually an entire team would get wiped out. It’s only a matter of time:
The plane carrying the Phillies back from San Francisco Friday morning had a close call while trying to land at Philadelphia International Airport.
Eyewitness News has learned the Phillies’ chartered Delta 747 was just seconds away from landing when an air traffic controller told another plane to move onto the runway for takeoff. The Phillies’ plane in fact was closer than FAA guidelines generally allow.
Thankfully everything turned out OK.
In other news, how cool is it that a baseball team get a 747? They hold like 400 people. Even if you trick the thing out for maximum luxury with big seats and stuff, they still hold, what, 150 or 200? What’s the size of the team + traveling entourage? Not that big I don’t figure, even for the playoffs. I guess what I’m driving at here is that the Phillies playoff plane could have had a dance floor in the thing, and unless and until I’m told otherwise, I’m going to assume that it did.
(thanks to Jonny for the heads up)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)