Oct 26, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
GEORGE: You know Keith, what I’ve always wondered, with all these ball clubs flying around all season don’t you think there would be a plane crash? If you think about it . . . 26 teams, 162 games a season, you’d think
eventually an entire team would get wiped out. It’s only a matter of time:
The plane carrying the Phillies back from San Francisco Friday morning had a close call while trying to land at Philadelphia International Airport.
Eyewitness News has learned the Phillies’ chartered Delta 747 was just seconds away from landing when an air traffic controller told another plane to move onto the runway for takeoff. The Phillies’ plane in fact was closer than FAA guidelines generally allow.
Thankfully everything turned out OK.
In other news, how cool is it that a baseball team get a 747? They hold like 400 people. Even if you trick the thing out for maximum luxury with big seats and stuff, they still hold, what, 150 or 200? What’s the size of the team + traveling entourage? Not that big I don’t figure, even for the playoffs. I guess what I’m driving at here is that the Phillies playoff plane could have had a dance floor in the thing, and unless and until I’m told otherwise, I’m going to assume that it did.
(thanks to Jonny for the heads up)
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 0
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)