Oct 27, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
There’s a profile on Brian Wilson in today’s New York Times. It’s a bit more nuanced than your typical “that Brian Wilson is CRAZY!” article we’ve been seeing much of recently. I don’t think he’s crazy. Just a bit off center. Sometimes I wonder if it’s all calculated, but ultimately it’s harmless. It’s also probably the sort of thing that won’t sit will with his employers once he stops saving 40+ games a year. “Ball Four” wasn’t written that long ago. The notion that eccentricity in baseball is only acceptable if you’re an elite player likely still holds. As it does in almost every walk of life in our society, sadly enough.
OK, that got a tad pessimistic. This was the part I liked the best. Wilson’s ultimate aim:
“I’d like to be a crossword clue one day,” he said. “I want to be in The New York Times’s Sunday edition. Right now, the clue ‘Giants great’ is always Mel Ott. I want my clue to be down, not across. The down ones are usually harder. And when I’m the clue, I’ll fill it in — just that one — and frame it.
“How sweet would that be?”
Careful what you wish for, Brian. “Bearded Giants closer; blew Game 7” is just as valid a clue as any other.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)