Oct 27, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
There’s a profile on Brian Wilson in today’s New York Times. It’s a bit more nuanced than your typical “that Brian Wilson is CRAZY!” article we’ve been seeing much of recently. I don’t think he’s crazy. Just a bit off center. Sometimes I wonder if it’s all calculated, but ultimately it’s harmless. It’s also probably the sort of thing that won’t sit will with his employers once he stops saving 40+ games a year. “Ball Four” wasn’t written that long ago. The notion that eccentricity in baseball is only acceptable if you’re an elite player likely still holds. As it does in almost every walk of life in our society, sadly enough.
OK, that got a tad pessimistic. This was the part I liked the best. Wilson’s ultimate aim:
“I’d like to be a crossword clue one day,” he said. “I want to be in The New York Times’s Sunday edition. Right now, the clue ‘Giants great’ is always Mel Ott. I want my clue to be down, not across. The down ones are usually harder. And when I’m the clue, I’ll fill it in — just that one — and frame it.
“How sweet would that be?”
Careful what you wish for, Brian. “Bearded Giants closer; blew Game 7″ is just as valid a clue as any other.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)