Dallas lawyer files the greatest Motion for Continuance ever

Oct 27, 2010, 11:03 AM EDT

lawsuit gavel

A motion for continuance is when you ask the court to postpone a hearing or a trial or something because you or your client can’t make it or need more time or whatever. They’re often used in the case of medical emergencies, conflicts with other cases, newly discovered evidence that needs more time to be processed and things like that. And yes, they’re often used for the simple purpose of delay, but if we cataloged everything lawyers do for that purpose we’d be here all week.

Anyway, Dallas lawyer Darrell Cook has a case going on in Irving, Texas, and he had to file a Motion for Continuance yesterday. His reason: he’s a big Rangers fan and he has tickets to Games 1 and 2 in San Francisco so he can’t make today’s hearing. You can read it all here. I give him credit for actually marshaling evidence in support of his motion and making an argument rather than simply putting the matter before the court and assuming it will be granted. The best part comes in a footnote:

It should be pointed out that A-Rod, a/k/a “A-Fraud”, took a called strike three to end the series and secure the Pennant for the Rangers. It has no significance to this Motion other than the fact that Darrell likes to point it out as much as possible.

That’s some good lawyerin’, there, Lou.

(thanks to reader TexasDawg for the link)

1. lar @ wezen-ball - Oct 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Thoroughly enjoyable.

So how would a judge react to this? I assume that he must’ve felt pretty good about the judge’s reaction or he wouldn’t have written it…

2. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM

My guess is that he called chambers first, asked if it would cool to get a continuance, the judge said no problem, “but just for the file, can you please put a motion on for me?” and this resulted.

3. gerryb323 - Oct 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Another instance of this that I enjoyed when searching for a form motion to continue….http://www.legaljuice.com/Mot_to_Continue%20LSU.pdf

4. Panda Claus - Oct 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM

That very well may be the single-most awesome piece of legal documentation I’ve ever seen. Well, technically I guess Declaration of Independence and The Constitution qualify as legal documents, so Mr. Cook’s work might be #3 on the list.

I’m not a Rangers’ fan as it were, but can certainly share in Mr. Cook’s obvious disdain for the Yankees.

5. wonkypenguin - Oct 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM

That is brilliant. Love it.

6. The Rabbit - Oct 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Terrific piece.
    I can tell you from personal experience that the same explanation will also get you excused from jury duty. (You do have to report and tell the judge in person.)

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5561)