Jeff Francoeur: voice of reason

Oct 27, 2010, 11:32 AM EST

Jeff Francoeur

This morning I agreed with Jeff Francoeur’s take on that “Team of Destiny” rebop, and now I’m finding him to be 100% on-point when it comes to the idea of expanding the playoffs:

“Obviously it’s going to get more people in the postseason. But baseball’s so unique because only eight teams go. In football you get 12, in basketball and hockey you get 16. I mean, you’ve got more than half the teams going to the playoffs. I think that’s what’s so cool and so special about baseball is that you only have eight teams that go, four teams from each league, and that means a great deal. You start adding wild cards – How do you do it? Who gets the bye? I love the way baseball’s set up right now. Sometimes you can do too much to make the sport worse, and I like where our sport’s at.”

What are the odds that Francoeur is really some sage who has set off on this baseball career as George Plimpton-style cover for an epic writing project?  On some level I’d find that far preferable to the simple solution that he and I see the world fairly similarly in most respects.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I couldn’t agree with him more.

2. Jonny 5 - Oct 27, 2010 at 12:19 PM

You were destined to one day see eye to eye with Frenchie….. It was just a cruel joke for him to land on the team of a WS contender……

3. nps6724 - Oct 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Go Giants! Just to keep Frenchy from getting an undeserved ring.

4. Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Uh-oh…Craigie is agreeing with Frenchie an awful lot lately–be on the lookout for locusts, frogs and rivers running red.

Go Cliffy, Josh and the Walkers.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Before we know it, Francoeur will start hitting better than an AA pitcher!

…nope, got way too ahead of myself there.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM

But he knows how to get hit with the bases juiced.

5. sdelmonte - Oct 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I suspect someday he will agree with you that he just isn’t a great hitter, and then everything will be fine.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good one.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5362)
  2. M. Kemp (3165)
  3. C. McGehee (2923)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2921)
  5. J. Upton (2856)