Oct 27, 2010, 9:24 AM EST
OK, I’ve found something dumber than believing that your team is fated to win the World Series. Quitting your job to go watch them win (or maybe lose) the World Series. Meet Boris Briskin:
The Plano native has been dreaming the Rangers would make it to the World Series since he was 10 years old. It was a dream he took with him to Los Angeles, where he works at a law firm. So when Briskin realized the Rangers might actually go all the way, he knew he had to be back in Texas. With little hesitation, he quit his job and has been staying with friends in Dallas for the past week.
“If I wasn’t here right now I would definitely be at work. And if the Rangers weren’t in the playoffs I would not be in Dallas right now,” he said.
Look, normally I’m the number one “quit your job at a law firm” advocate on the planet, but it’s a pretty rough economy out there. I know lawyers who’ve been looking for work for a long time now. I know Buck and McCarver will take about 78% of the joy out of seeing your team win the World Series, but watching it all on TV has to beat unemployment, right? I mean, the guy went to law school, so he has to be able to see the logic inherit in that, doesn’t he?
He is confident he will find a new job when he returns to California.
Well, then. OK. Maybe not.
(link via Big League Stew)
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)