Oct 27, 2010, 9:24 AM EDT
OK, I’ve found something dumber than believing that your team is fated to win the World Series. Quitting your job to go watch them win (or maybe lose) the World Series. Meet Boris Briskin:
The Plano native has been dreaming the Rangers would make it to the World Series since he was 10 years old. It was a dream he took with him to Los Angeles, where he works at a law firm. So when Briskin realized the Rangers might actually go all the way, he knew he had to be back in Texas. With little hesitation, he quit his job and has been staying with friends in Dallas for the past week.
“If I wasn’t here right now I would definitely be at work. And if the Rangers weren’t in the playoffs I would not be in Dallas right now,” he said.
Look, normally I’m the number one “quit your job at a law firm” advocate on the planet, but it’s a pretty rough economy out there. I know lawyers who’ve been looking for work for a long time now. I know Buck and McCarver will take about 78% of the joy out of seeing your team win the World Series, but watching it all on TV has to beat unemployment, right? I mean, the guy went to law school, so he has to be able to see the logic inherit in that, doesn’t he?
He is confident he will find a new job when he returns to California.
Well, then. OK. Maybe not.
(link via Big League Stew)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 11
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)