One somewhat attenuated reason for New Yorkers to watch the World Series

Oct 27, 2010, 3:35 PM EST

Polo Grounds

If I had a dime for each Phillies or Yankees fan I’ve heard say that they didn’t plan on watching the World Series I’d, well, I wouldn’t be rich, but I’d have a bunch of dimes.  Maybe I can see not watching the whole series, but if you’re a baseball fan and you’re not watching Lee vs. Lincecum tonight, well, God help you.

If you’re a New Yorker and you still can’t get into it, then at least do me a favor and read these columns from Gary Hoenig an Filip Bondy, each of whom take a walk down New York Giants memory lane.  Granted, there’s a bit of “Hey! Remember that New York is the center of baseball!” that likely went into these stories even being written, but even if that’s a tad annoying, it happens to be true.

Good stuff.

1. craftylefty318 - Oct 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM

As a Yankee fan, I’d rather watch the Series than read Filip Bondy.

2. Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I’ll be watching, but not religiously. I won’t be hanging on every pitch. If I drink enough, the hat on Cliffy’s head will eventually turn red with a scripted P on it, and his uni will turn to red and white pinstripes, right?

3. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I won’t be watching a pitch. I’m going car shopping tonight, then I’ll watch some Sixers as they play the NBA’s version of the Borg.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM

My team hasn’t one a thing since Teddy Roosevelt’s era, but I’m more excited about this series than any other one in recent memory.
    A team that hasn’t won it since 1954 vs. a team with a pitching staff out of nowhere that’s never won it is very exciting for nearly any baseball fan.

5. Jonny 5 - Oct 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I’m watching!! Hells yes. With Beer. That is if Mrs. 5 allows it. I do have my chores…….. My Deck is looking awesome BTW, HUGE!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Stop bragging. Dammit…now I have deck envy….

• Gobias Industries - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I can guarantee Mrs. 5 won’t let him watch the game if his deck is half as big as he claims it is.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM

As big as his head is getting about his deck, I’m sure she has plans out the wazoo.

6. Kevin S. - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I wish I was watching. Eff FOX, and eff Cablevision.

7. Bochy's Head/Timmy's Bong - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Awesome photo to ponder its awesome dimensions at both ends of the spectrum…
    LF line 279′
    RF line 258′
    but…
    LF 455′
    CF 483′
    RF 449′

8. nyyfaninbama - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I have a hard enough time watching Yankee games on FOX. I will not be able to stomach Buck and McCarver for 3+ plus hours a game when the Yankees aren’t playing. But I would like to see the Rangers win and will keep an eye on the score.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM

You can stream the local radio broadcast through mlb.com if you want to listen to the game muted, but there is a delay. Why a Wanker fan would have a problem with FOX, Schmuck and McCarebear is a riddle, though.

1. J. Papelbon (5560)