Oct 27, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
I’m a bit surprised we haven’t heard as much about the San Francisco-Dallas culture clash leading up to the World Series. I mean, really, what is a sporting event without people reducing two large, diverse, mutli-cultural metropolitan areas to their most crude and basic stereotypes? I want to hear more about how this is a battle between gun-toting, meat-eating, God-fearing Texas wackos on the one side and drug-abusing, tofu-loving commie perverts on the other.
Joe Eskenazi of SF Weekly has a guest post in the the Dallas Morning News today, and when I saw it I figured we’d be getting some good red culture war meat. Sadly he’s pretty even handed about it and is in on the joke. But he does rattle off my favorite line of day so far:
Though I haven’t visited Dallas, I have been to Houston. And I think residents of San Francisco and Dallas can certainly bond – over making fun of Houston.
Someone start throwing bombs, will ya? There isn’t nearly enough outrage floating around this World Series yet, and it’s making me kind of antsy.
UPDATE: I spoke too soon. Leave it to the New York Times.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)