Oct 27, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News has an interesting story about how the Rangers nearly ended up with Tim Lincecum.
Texas had the 12th overall pick in Jon Daniels’ first draft as general manager back in 2006 and “had identified the diminutive, hard-throwing right-hander from Washington as the club’s No. 1 target.”
According to Daniels the Rangers felt pretty confident that Lincecum would go undrafted through at least the first nine picks, but worried that the Giants would select him at No. 10 overall. San Francisco did end up selecting Lincecum, but in announcing the pick left out one of the zeroes on his official “draft number.”
“When the Giants started to call the number and there was no zero and I thought we got him,” Daniels told Grant. “Then they called the name. I remember asking our guys if we could have the pick nullified for not calling the zero. Apparently, you didn’t need to call the zero in the draft number.”
And so the Giants picked Lincecum at No. 10, the Diamondbacks selected Max Scherzer at No. 11, and the Rangers ended up with Kasey Kiker at No. 12. Lincecum has won back-to-back Cy Young awards and will start Game 1 tonight opposite Rangers ace Cliff Lee, while Kiker spent this season posting a 7.40 ERA at Double-A.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL