Oct 27, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Carl Crawford will obviously have no shortage of suitors when he hits the open market as a free agent next month and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Tigers will be among the many teams making a run at the speedy outfielder.
According to Rosenthal the Tigers “are deeply interested in Crawford” and could push teams like the Red Sox and Angels for his services.
Crawford and Austin Jackson would form two-thirds of an amazing defensive outfield and as Rosenthal notes spacious Comerica Park would give Crawford a chance to pile up even more triples than usual.
Of course, whether Crawford has any interest in playing for Detroit and whether the Tigers actually have the payroll room to get into a bidding war for him are unclear. Detroit is reportedly close to re-signing Jhonny Peralta after already locking up Brandon Inge, which would mean committing more than $10 million to a pair of .700 OPS infielders for the next two seasons.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)