Oct 27, 2010, 10:48 AM EST
Last week the Tigers kept Brandon Inge from hitting the open market by signing him to a two-year, $11.5 million deal and now Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that they’re “expected” to retain impending free agent Jhonny Peralta as well.
Peralta went from Cleveland to Detroit in a July 28 trade and hit just .253/.313/.396 in 57 games down the stretch, but apparently the Tigers liked what they saw more than the numbers suggest.
According to Morosi the Tigers are likely to decline their $7.5 million option on Peralta and try to re-sign him to two-year contract with a lower annual salary that “will probably be a little less than the $11.5 million” Inge received.
Now that Inge is signed through 2012 the Tigers would presumably use Peralta at shortstop, where his lack of range and error-prone ways caused the Indians to move him to third base. Morosi writes that the Tigers are willing to live with his sub par glove “in exchange for Peralta’s run production” and goes on to quote his RBI totals, but Peralta batted .249 with a .703 OPS this season and .254 with a .690 OPS last season. Not exactly strong production, let alone strong enough to make it worth sacrificing defense at a key position.
If the Tigers end up committing $10 million per season for the next two years to keep Inge and Peralta as the left side of their infield the rest of the AL Central should be thanking general manager Dave Dombrowski.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 37
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)