Yankees decline their 2011 options on Lance Berkman, Kerry Wood, and Nick Johnson

Oct 27, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT

lance-berkman-yankees-sad

Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that the Yankees have declined their 2011 options on Lance Berkman, Kerry Wood, and Nick Johnson, all of which were expected moves.

Berkman’s contract included a $15 million team option or $2 million buyout for 2011, but as part of his accepting a trade to the Yankees it was changed to a mutual option. New York made it a moot point by declining their end after he hit just .255/.358/.349 in 37 games after the trade.

Wood’s deal contained an $11 million option for 2011, but with no buyout required that was a no-brainer to decline.

Johnson had a $5.25 million mutual option for 2011, which is actually slightly less than he earned this season, but the Yankees chose a $250,000 buyout after the oft-injured first baseman missed nearly the entire season following wrist surgery.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Call me corny, but for none other than his character and past success, I’d love to see Lance as a Cub next year. The Cubs aren’t going to win it all next year, have no shot at someone like Fielder, and he’d be a great veteran presence with a decent amount of pop left in him.

2. Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Obviously not a one of them was a “True Yankee,” whatever the hell that is.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I don’t even think Jeter knows what that means.

• yankees1996 - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM

“True Yankee”, “True Dodger”, ” True Phillie”, – A player who was drafted by and played through the minor league system and was developed by the coaches of the particular franchise and went on to have a successful career with that particular Major League team. Your Welcome.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Using the word ‘True’ instead of something like ‘Homegrown’, then, is nothing short of demoralizing.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Not many of them!

• Gobias Industries - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM

In other words, Babe Ruth, the greatest, most popular Yankee of all time was not a “True Yankee”. Glad we got that one straightened out.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Add lifelong to that list. Tagging “true” onto players does say that other players are not team players. I would say Victorino (the Hawaiian) and JDub are just as true a Phightin as JRoll and Chase are.

3. proudlycanadian - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

In 24 games with the Yankees, Wood was 2 & 0 with a 0.69 era. He struck out 31 over the 26 innings pitched. He was a very productive rental.

4. yankees1996 - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Yes, they truly are a dying breed. @WhenMattStairsIsKing – I don’t understand, why is it demoralizing? There is no pro sport left that has all “true” or “homegrown” players. Free agency has ruined all pro sports.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM

That’s not the point.

“Gee, Matt Holiday, you’re really great for our team, but since you didn’t come up through our system, you’re really not a true Cardinal.”

If you’re right, wouldn’t that be a crappy mindset to have of your players?

• yankees1996 - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I appreciate any good player on any team whether he came through the system or not but the “homegrown” or “true” players just add to the game for me. I still like players that play their careers for one team, it must be a sentimental thing. I believe…. I am getting OLD! Donny baseball is still one of my most favorite Yankees.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Couldn’t agree with you more – I wish loyalty was more important than it is – I’m just saying that saying that someone isn’t a “true” member of their team because they didn’t come into success with them just isn’t appropriate.

5. yankees1996 - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM

O.k., I can understand what your saying, loyalty always loses out to the almighty dollar.

6. pisano - Oct 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM

The only one that was worth a crap was Kerry Wood . Nick Johnson ought to be made to return the money the Yankees gave him. I don’t know how he can look himself in the mirror . Berkman is on the down side , but maybe a national league team will pick him up .

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3582)