Oct 28, 2010, 5:55 AM EDT
Giants 11, Rangers 7: I’m trying to remember a sloppier World Series game, but I’m comin’ up empty. At least if you don’t count the earthquake.
The big story today is obviously Cliff Lee, who saw his postseason ERA climb from 1.26 to 1.96 in the space of a couple hours. Then there are the six errors (Pfun Pfact: none were on Juan Uribe or Edgar Renteria, who actually played some pretty spiffy defense out there, amazingly enough). And the fact that the Giants felt they had to bring in Brian Wilson with a seven run lead. And then there was Juan Uribe’s bomb and Freddy Sanchez’s doubles. All interesting in their own right. But the thing that still stuck in my mind as I went to bed last night was Vlad Guerrero in right field. It was ugly and it was sad and I hope we don’t have to see it again. Give me Murphy, Ron Washington. Hell, even give me Francoeur. But if I have to see one of my favorite players embarrassing himself out in the field again, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to handle it.
As for the series, I know we live in the age of “Everything That Just Happened Is The Most Important Thing That Has Ever Happened,” but it’s one game. An encouraging one, no question, if you’re the Giants. A punch to the nose, no question, if you’re the Rangers. But it’s a best of seven here. The Rangers were down 0-1 in the ALCS following a somewhat shocking loss. They didn’t need two Cliff Lee victories in that series either. Still lots of baseball to be played.
Here’s hoping it’s played much, much better by both sides.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 12
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 90
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)