Oct 28, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
After reverse engineering the system to determine unofficial free agent rankings throughout the season MLB Trade Rumors has gotten its hands on the official list from the Elias Sports Bureau.
There are no big surprises based on the unofficial, in-season protections done by MLBTR, as the reverse-engineered projections were “off” on only two players: Derrek Lee and Mark Ellis.
Several non-star players qualify as Type A free agents, which means teams that sign them must forfeit their first-round pick as long as the selection isn’t in the top 15. If it is a top-15 pick, then the team would lose their second rounder instead.
Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford, Victor Martinez, and Adam Dunn are some of the obvious Type A free agents. Among the lesser Type A qualifiers: Matt Guerrier, Jason Frasor, Grant Balfour, Ramon Hernandez, Jason Kubel, Dan Wheeler, Arthur Rhodes, Bengie Molina, A.J. Pierzynski.
Similarly there are some relatively big names who qualify as merely Type B free agents, which means teams are free to sign them without losing their first-round pick. Among the bigger name Type B qualifiers: Hiroki Kuroda, Aubrey Huff, Brian Fuentes, Johnny Damon, Orlando Hudson, Javier Vazquez, Carlos Pena, Lance Berkman, Hideki Matsui.
Also worth noting is that in order to receive compensation of any kind, regardless of the player’s classification, a team must offer their departing free agent salary arbitration. Depending on the circumstances some teams decline to do so, forfeiting compensation because they don’t want to risk the player accepting arbitration and forcing them into a one-year commitment.
MLB Trade Rumors has done a great job tracking the free agent rankings all season, so check out their full list of Type A and Type B qualifiers.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)