Oct 28, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
Some breaking news here from Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times.
Giants outfielder Jose Guillen was left off San Francisco’s postseason roster this month not because of his poor play, but because he is being investigated currently for ties to performance-enhancing drugs.
According to Schmidt’s report, Guillen had packages of human growth hormone (HGH) sent to an address that is registered to his wife in the Bay Area during the 2010 season. Major League Baseball immediately opened an investigation and recommended to the Giants that Guillen be left off the club’s postseason roster. The Giants complied and the investigation goes on.
Few people have agreed to comment on the story and Guillen should be viewed as innocent until proven guilty, but it wouldn’t be the first time that the veteran outfielder has been linked to performance-enhancers. The San Francisco Chronicle discovered in 2007 that Guillen bought more than $19,000 worth of HGH between 2002 and 2005.
All of this could lead to a 50-game suspension for the 34-year-old impending free agent. He slugged 19 home runs and tallied 77 RBI in 524 at-bats this past season, but he no longer plays good defense and it’s highly probable that Guillen won’t be available for the fist few months of 2011. It’s going to be tough for him to find a contract before the start of next year’s regular season.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)