Oct 28, 2010, 9:32 PM EST
Some breaking news here from Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times.
Giants outfielder Jose Guillen was left off San Francisco’s postseason roster this month not because of his poor play, but because he is being investigated currently for ties to performance-enhancing drugs.
According to Schmidt’s report, Guillen had packages of human growth hormone (HGH) sent to an address that is registered to his wife in the Bay Area during the 2010 season. Major League Baseball immediately opened an investigation and recommended to the Giants that Guillen be left off the club’s postseason roster. The Giants complied and the investigation goes on.
Few people have agreed to comment on the story and Guillen should be viewed as innocent until proven guilty, but it wouldn’t be the first time that the veteran outfielder has been linked to performance-enhancers. The San Francisco Chronicle discovered in 2007 that Guillen bought more than $19,000 worth of HGH between 2002 and 2005.
All of this could lead to a 50-game suspension for the 34-year-old impending free agent. He slugged 19 home runs and tallied 77 RBI in 524 at-bats this past season, but he no longer plays good defense and it’s highly probable that Guillen won’t be available for the fist few months of 2011. It’s going to be tough for him to find a contract before the start of next year’s regular season.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (142)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)