Oct 28, 2010, 9:32 PM EST
Some breaking news here from Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times.
Giants outfielder Jose Guillen was left off San Francisco’s postseason roster this month not because of his poor play, but because he is being investigated currently for ties to performance-enhancing drugs.
According to Schmidt’s report, Guillen had packages of human growth hormone (HGH) sent to an address that is registered to his wife in the Bay Area during the 2010 season. Major League Baseball immediately opened an investigation and recommended to the Giants that Guillen be left off the club’s postseason roster. The Giants complied and the investigation goes on.
Few people have agreed to comment on the story and Guillen should be viewed as innocent until proven guilty, but it wouldn’t be the first time that the veteran outfielder has been linked to performance-enhancers. The San Francisco Chronicle discovered in 2007 that Guillen bought more than $19,000 worth of HGH between 2002 and 2005.
All of this could lead to a 50-game suspension for the 34-year-old impending free agent. He slugged 19 home runs and tallied 77 RBI in 524 at-bats this past season, but he no longer plays good defense and it’s highly probable that Guillen won’t be available for the fist few months of 2011. It’s going to be tough for him to find a contract before the start of next year’s regular season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)