Oct 28, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
“I see him personally probably being somewhere in the back end of the bullpen. Because it’s hard to find a guy that can get righties and lefties out equally and that gas he has and you haven’t even seen his breaking ball and his changeup yet so his potential is unbelievable. So probably somewhere in the back end of the bullpen.”
But the man who got that quote — John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer — says that Reds’ GM Walt Jocketty was clear in saying that Chapman would be a starter the last time they spoke.
I can’t help but think that if Dusty would go back and read the printed version of what he said — specifically, that Chapman is more than heat, has several pitches and can gets guys on both sides of the plate out — he’d realize that he has a potentially amazing starter on his hand, not just an effective reliever. Sure, maybe he’s still a work in progress as a starter, but Chapman has a long term deal with Cincinnati for a reason, and it ain’t to stop developing as a pitcher 11 months after he signed.
Or maybe Dusty doesn’t need to examine this matter any further. Maybe Walt Jocketty is just going to tell him what’s what.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)