Oct 28, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
“I see him personally probably being somewhere in the back end of the bullpen. Because it’s hard to find a guy that can get righties and lefties out equally and that gas he has and you haven’t even seen his breaking ball and his changeup yet so his potential is unbelievable. So probably somewhere in the back end of the bullpen.”
But the man who got that quote — John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer — says that Reds’ GM Walt Jocketty was clear in saying that Chapman would be a starter the last time they spoke.
I can’t help but think that if Dusty would go back and read the printed version of what he said — specifically, that Chapman is more than heat, has several pitches and can gets guys on both sides of the plate out — he’d realize that he has a potentially amazing starter on his hand, not just an effective reliever. Sure, maybe he’s still a work in progress as a starter, but Chapman has a long term deal with Cincinnati for a reason, and it ain’t to stop developing as a pitcher 11 months after he signed.
Or maybe Dusty doesn’t need to examine this matter any further. Maybe Walt Jocketty is just going to tell him what’s what.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)