Oct 28, 2010, 10:15 AM EST
Joel Sherman of the New York Post has some additional details on the three-year contract extension for Joe Girardi that has been reported as a nearly done deal since early this week.
According to Sherman he’ll get a total of $9 million, which is a raise of $500,000 per season over his previous contract and would tie Girardi with Charlie Manuel of the Phillies as the sixth-highest-paid manager in baseball.
Sherman speculates that the new deal will be announced Friday, when the World Series has an off day and MLB won’t be upset about the Yankees stealing some headlines from the Giants and Rangers.
After winning Manager of the Year and then being fired following his lone season as the Marlins’ manager Girardi has compiled a 287-199 record in three seasons with the Yankees, winning 59.1 percent of his games and a World Series in 2009. His career winning percentage of .563 is the highest among all active managers and ranks 19th all time among everyone who managed at least 500 games. And he has a binder.
UPDATE: Sherman now says it’s a done deal and the contract includes “$450,000-$500,000 in ALCS/World Series bonuses.”
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (252)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)