Oct 28, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post has some additional details on the three-year contract extension for Joe Girardi that has been reported as a nearly done deal since early this week.
According to Sherman he’ll get a total of $9 million, which is a raise of $500,000 per season over his previous contract and would tie Girardi with Charlie Manuel of the Phillies as the sixth-highest-paid manager in baseball.
Sherman speculates that the new deal will be announced Friday, when the World Series has an off day and MLB won’t be upset about the Yankees stealing some headlines from the Giants and Rangers.
After winning Manager of the Year and then being fired following his lone season as the Marlins’ manager Girardi has compiled a 287-199 record in three seasons with the Yankees, winning 59.1 percent of his games and a World Series in 2009. His career winning percentage of .563 is the highest among all active managers and ranks 19th all time among everyone who managed at least 500 games. And he has a binder.
UPDATE: Sherman now says it’s a done deal and the contract includes “$450,000-$500,000 in ALCS/World Series bonuses.”
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)