Oct 28, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post has some additional details on the three-year contract extension for Joe Girardi that has been reported as a nearly done deal since early this week.
According to Sherman he’ll get a total of $9 million, which is a raise of $500,000 per season over his previous contract and would tie Girardi with Charlie Manuel of the Phillies as the sixth-highest-paid manager in baseball.
Sherman speculates that the new deal will be announced Friday, when the World Series has an off day and MLB won’t be upset about the Yankees stealing some headlines from the Giants and Rangers.
After winning Manager of the Year and then being fired following his lone season as the Marlins’ manager Girardi has compiled a 287-199 record in three seasons with the Yankees, winning 59.1 percent of his games and a World Series in 2009. His career winning percentage of .563 is the highest among all active managers and ranks 19th all time among everyone who managed at least 500 games. And he has a binder.
UPDATE: Sherman now says it’s a done deal and the contract includes “$450,000-$500,000 in ALCS/World Series bonuses.”
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)