Oct 28, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Last week Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reported that Rangers general manager and New York native Jon Daniels had “communicated through back channels that he hoped the Mets would wait until after the World Series” to replace Omar Minaya as GM, leading to speculation that he was interested in hopping from Texas to New York.
Scott Miller of CBSSports.com asked Daniels about that report prior to Game 1 of the World Series last night and the GM had some pretty strong words in response:
Complete bull. That really pissed me off. Completely inaccurate. All I’m thinking about is the Rangers and the World Series. I’m in a great spot.
It’s a moot point, obviously, as the Mets hired Sandy Alderson as their new general manager a couple weeks before they could have talked to Daniels. And of course, “complete bull” or not, Daniels would have every reason to strongly deny the report at this point anyway. He’s right though, with the team in the World Series and new ownership in charge the Rangers’ gig is suddenly a very good one.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)