Oct 28, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Last week Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reported that Rangers general manager and New York native Jon Daniels had “communicated through back channels that he hoped the Mets would wait until after the World Series” to replace Omar Minaya as GM, leading to speculation that he was interested in hopping from Texas to New York.
Scott Miller of CBSSports.com asked Daniels about that report prior to Game 1 of the World Series last night and the GM had some pretty strong words in response:
Complete bull. That really pissed me off. Completely inaccurate. All I’m thinking about is the Rangers and the World Series. I’m in a great spot.
It’s a moot point, obviously, as the Mets hired Sandy Alderson as their new general manager a couple weeks before they could have talked to Daniels. And of course, “complete bull” or not, Daniels would have every reason to strongly deny the report at this point anyway. He’s right though, with the team in the World Series and new ownership in charge the Rangers’ gig is suddenly a very good one.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 73
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)