Oct 28, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Last week Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reported that Rangers general manager and New York native Jon Daniels had “communicated through back channels that he hoped the Mets would wait until after the World Series” to replace Omar Minaya as GM, leading to speculation that he was interested in hopping from Texas to New York.
Scott Miller of CBSSports.com asked Daniels about that report prior to Game 1 of the World Series last night and the GM had some pretty strong words in response:
Complete bull. That really pissed me off. Completely inaccurate. All I’m thinking about is the Rangers and the World Series. I’m in a great spot.
It’s a moot point, obviously, as the Mets hired Sandy Alderson as their new general manager a couple weeks before they could have talked to Daniels. And of course, “complete bull” or not, Daniels would have every reason to strongly deny the report at this point anyway. He’s right though, with the team in the World Series and new ownership in charge the Rangers’ gig is suddenly a very good one.
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 8
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 15
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)