Oct 28, 2010, 11:17 AM EST
Last week Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reported that Rangers general manager and New York native Jon Daniels had “communicated through back channels that he hoped the Mets would wait until after the World Series” to replace Omar Minaya as GM, leading to speculation that he was interested in hopping from Texas to New York.
Scott Miller of CBSSports.com asked Daniels about that report prior to Game 1 of the World Series last night and the GM had some pretty strong words in response:
Complete bull. That really pissed me off. Completely inaccurate. All I’m thinking about is the Rangers and the World Series. I’m in a great spot.
It’s a moot point, obviously, as the Mets hired Sandy Alderson as their new general manager a couple weeks before they could have talked to Daniels. And of course, “complete bull” or not, Daniels would have every reason to strongly deny the report at this point anyway. He’s right though, with the team in the World Series and new ownership in charge the Rangers’ gig is suddenly a very good one.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (118)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)