Oct 28, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
I wrote this morning about how the Mets have until Sunday to re-sign Hisanori Takahashi or they’ll be all but guaranteed to lose him as a free agent because of a clause in his contract, but the left-hander switched agents yesterday and is now trying to extend the deadline.
Takahashi’s new agent, Arn Tellem, told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that he’s “in discussions with the Mets to extend the negotiating deadline.” Of course, whether or not the Mets offer enough to keep Takahashi from choosing free agency anyway is another issue.
After a decade in Japan the 35-year-old southpaw split time between the rotation and bullpen this season, going 10-6 with eight saves and a 3.61 ERA in 122 innings.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11