Oct 28, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
I wrote this morning about how the Mets have until Sunday to re-sign Hisanori Takahashi or they’ll be all but guaranteed to lose him as a free agent because of a clause in his contract, but the left-hander switched agents yesterday and is now trying to extend the deadline.
Takahashi’s new agent, Arn Tellem, told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that he’s “in discussions with the Mets to extend the negotiating deadline.” Of course, whether or not the Mets offer enough to keep Takahashi from choosing free agency anyway is another issue.
After a decade in Japan the 35-year-old southpaw split time between the rotation and bullpen this season, going 10-6 with eight saves and a 3.61 ERA in 122 innings.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)