Oct 28, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
Interesting insight from Buster Olney on Vlad Guerrero today:
Vladimir Guerrero is more than just the Rangers’ cleanup hitter. He is a centerpiece of respect and dignity and consistency, the wise old man of the group. He sits in the same seat on the team’s bus everyday, and if you happen to sit in his seat accidentally, before he arrives, one of the other players will politely inform you that you are residing in Vlad’s seat.
Then, after going over the possibilities for Game 2 — including benching Vlad — Olney says:
But within the Rangers family, which has functioned particularly well this year, the impact of those kinds of alterations would probably disturb their internal dynamic — and Washington probably does not want to be perceived as changing stuff. Remember: Nobody sits in Vlad’s seat. And it’s hard to imagine, unless Guerrero went to Washington and took himself out of the lineup before Game 2, that anybody else would be hitting cleanup and playing right field.
Most of us ignore the internal clubhouse dynamics most of the time because we simply can’t know about them. Then we hear stuff like this and it makes us re-think what happens on a baseball field. Not every sub-optimal decision by a manager is a “dumb” decision. A lot of the times they’re driven by all manner of concerns, some tactical, some political. We’d probably be better served as fans to consider that more often. God knows I ignore it most of the time.
That said, this is the World Series. And with all due respect to Vlad Guerrero’s seat on the bus, if the Rangers want the best chance to win Game 2, he should probably have a seat on the bench. And I bet even those on the Rangers who revere him the most would agree with that.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)