Oct 28, 2010, 12:01 PM EDT
ESPN New York’s Ian O’Connor thinks Sandy Alderson may be a great GM choice for the Mets, but he thinks he needs to atone for past sins before taking the job:
But when he steps to the microphone as Omar Minaya’s replacement, Alderson should take the time of offer an apology. He should say he’s sorry for being an enabler at a time when baseball desperately needed a whistle-blower and a leader. He should say he’s sorry for allowing the monstrous steroid culture to grow fangs on his watch.
Sandy Alderson was a general manager for 14 years: 1983-1997. During that time there were a few other general managers running teams with ballplayers who took PEDs. Namely all of them. Is O’Connor asking for apologies from Pat Gillick? Lou Gorman? Gene Michael? John Schuerholz? Syd Thryft? I’m guessing not.
Based on his column, of course, O’Connor’s response would be that Alderson deserves more blame than anyone else because he was the A’s GM. In my view, such logic only washes if you believe that steroids were invented by Jose Canseco in Oakland in 1989 and that from that point forward, steroids were a purely Oakland Athletics’ phenomenon. Both of those ideas are nonsense, of course. And I think even O’Connor would agree that PEDs became a baseball-wide problem, not one attributable to a single clubhouse.
But hey, maybe O’Connor has a point here. And maybe it’s a point he truly believes, rather than one that he’s merely throwing out there because it made for a nice angry column during the lull between playoff games. If that’s the case, I fully expect O’Connor to be at the press conference in which Sandy Alderson is introduced as the Mets’ new GM and to ask Alderson to make the apology he believes is warranted.
Shall we hold our breath?
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)