Oct 28, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
A comment in the Cliff Lee thread from a reader named “feartherallythong”:
“All the Giants-haters are cracking me up (I’m looking at you, Mr. Calcaterra). Of all the posts post-Game 1, I see a bunch of “How could the Rangers lose?”, and “What happened to Cliff Lee?” posts and stories. Even the MSM is referring almost exclusively to the game as a Rangers loss, not a Giants win. It’s funny. Lee had a sub-superhuman game, the Giants are hot and at home, their offense doesn’t suck as much as everyone says, and the only person to give props to the Giants for getting good wood on the ball was Cliff Lee himself. He gave up one walk, he wasn’t wild – the Giants are just hot, and seeing the ball well.
“This may be a 6 or 7-game series in the end, but when every pundit had the Rangers winning in 6, I was reminded of the underrated Graham Chapman in “Yellowbeard”, when he says, “We Yellowbeards are NEVER more dangerous then when we’re dead!”
First: this guy wins the internets for a “Yellowbeard” quote. That is FAN-tastic. I saw that flick at the theater when it came out. I think that makes me one of six people in the country who can say that. And I loved it too. Of course, I was like nine at the time. Not sure it holds up. Not sure I want to watch it again to find out.
Second: Can we please dispense with the “nobody believes in us!” rebop? I know that has become the custom every postseason, but it’s beyond tired. Even Yankees fans were doing it last season.
The fact of the matter is that, while more pundits picked the Rangers to win this thing than the Giants, no one I recall said it would be a walk. Almost every prediction I read was that this thing would go six or seven games, that it was very evenly matched, and that if x, y, or z didn’t happen, the Giants would be more than able to take control of the series. Mad props were given all around to the Giants’ staff, which most people agree is stronger than the Rangers’ after you get past Lee, and almost everyone noted that despite the Giants’ poor offense, they’ve found a way to get past some excellent pitching in the postseason, so you can’t count them out.
But hey, if you need to think that everyone is hating on your team to get excited for the series, don’t let me get in your way.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)