Please, can we put an end to the “nobody believes in us!” nonsense?

Oct 28, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT

Giants fans Believe

A comment in the Cliff Lee thread from a reader named “feartherallythong”:

“All the Giants-haters are cracking me up (I’m looking at you, Mr. Calcaterra). Of all the posts post-Game 1, I see a bunch of “How could the Rangers lose?”, and “What happened to Cliff Lee?” posts and stories. Even the MSM is referring almost exclusively to the game as a Rangers loss, not a Giants win. It’s funny. Lee had a sub-superhuman game, the Giants are hot and at home, their offense doesn’t suck as much as everyone says, and the only person to give props to the Giants for getting good wood on the ball was Cliff Lee himself. He gave up one walk, he wasn’t wild – the Giants are just hot, and seeing the ball well.

“This may be a 6 or 7-game series in the end, but when every pundit had the Rangers winning in 6, I was reminded of the underrated Graham Chapman in “Yellowbeard”, when he says, “We Yellowbeards are NEVER more dangerous then when we’re dead!”

First: this guy wins the internets for a “Yellowbeard” quote. That is FAN-tastic.  I saw that flick at the theater when it came out. I think that makes me one of six people in the country who can say that. And I loved it too. Of course, I was like nine at the time. Not sure it holds up. Not sure I want to watch it again to find out.

Second: Can we please dispense with the “nobody believes in us!” rebop?  I know that has become the custom every postseason, but it’s beyond tired. Even Yankees fans were doing it last season.

The fact of the matter is that, while more pundits picked the Rangers to win this thing than the Giants, no one I recall said it would be a walk. Almost every prediction I read was that this thing would go six or seven games, that it was very evenly matched, and that if x, y, or z didn’t happen, the Giants would be more than able to take control of the series.  Mad props were given all around to the Giants’ staff, which most people agree is stronger than the Rangers’ after you get past Lee, and almost everyone noted that despite the Giants’ poor offense, they’ve found a way to get past some excellent pitching in the postseason, so you can’t count them out.

But hey, if you need to think that everyone is hating on your team to get excited for the series, don’t let me get in your way.

1. Mark Armour - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:33 PM

These are two great teams who deserve to be here, and either is capable of winning any game. Let’s watch.

2. Utley's Hair - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Dwarves fans are insecure.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:41 PM

LOL

3. Charles Gates - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM

A few blocks from Chinatown in San Fran, there’s this little enclave called Phillytown. They’ve adopted the West Coast sports teams while also retaining the ‘We don’t get no respect, everyone’s out to get us’-ness that the natives in the homeland are known for.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Just wait until Wankerville is built.

• BC - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Or Otisburg.
        It’s a little bitty place.

4. Utley's Hair - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM

But, Craig, I hope you’re wrong–with a handle that has “thong” in it, I’m hoping it’s not a guy.

• feartherallythong - Oct 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Oh, I’m a guy alright – Hair, I take you for a knowledgeable, passionate fan, so I can reasonably assume you are aware of Aubrey Huff’s “Rally Thong”.

You may safely infer (mostly because I am telling you directly) that my handle is satire-based.

Actually my original handle, El Rayo X, seems to have gotten hijacked, so I though this one would be funnier than the way-too-easy “fear the beard”.

5. BC - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I think Yellowbeard stole that from Star Wars:
    “You can’t win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.”

6. Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:47 PM

What’s with all the gimmicks anyway with SF??? The stooopid thong. The really really bad beards. I secretly wish for SF to lose so I never have to see this crap in baseball again. If these two things stick around because the Giants win, it could forever change the image of the game.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Ain’t gonna happen, man. Remember those damn cowbells? Yeah, they’re still around.

• BC - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM

What this post needs is more cowbell!!!!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Hahahaha. I was just watching that on YouTube last week.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Hang on, now, Jonny. Beards are hardly just a SF thing.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Man, it isn’t the same, sure lots of ball players have face hair. But nobody makes themselves look like the Anti-santa quite like SF does. And the kids…… The poor kids are wearing them now…. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Wait what, of all the gimmicks you are mad at the Giants?!? What about the Rangers with those stupid antlers and “the claw”? Those should burn in hell along with the rally monkey, thunderstix, and everyone waiving little towels (save the Steelers).

• Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Stupid antlers and the claw. Both stupid, but i don’t have to stare at them all game. Now if everyone in texas starts screwing antlers to their hats, then it’s just as bad. The Thong, The black beards, and the cowbells are the worst gimmicks ever imo. Sure, my team has a 7′ tall green muppet that likes to hump people and rub bald heads, but that’s a gimmick that people like. A mascot.

• Ari Collins - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I think beards are one of the best things in baseball. The more colorful, weird, and/or just huge beards around, the more character the game has. Even soul patches help, even if they look kind of douche-y to me.

Which is all my way of saying: $@#! the Yankees.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM

The Wankers will soon require goatees on all their players, to go along with the evil image they are projecting.

7. lillian - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM

as someone who works a couple blocks from AT&T park and who bleeds black and orange, i can tell you that there is no “everyone is out to get us” mentality here, no sir… just a LOT of freakin’ love for our boys–the more gimmicks the better! check out this infographic comparing the teams, shows the Rangers have a “gimmick” of their own — claw and antlers? pshh… http://bit.ly/WorldSeriesInfographic

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I concur.

8. feartherallythong - Oct 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Okay, Mr. C – First, I’m all a-flutter about your referencing me as the inspiration for your blog. Second, I do recognize that you are using it to essentially criticize the overall timbre of the post, which is, I admit, rather Dangerfieldian.

Guilty as charged, I suppose.

However, in my defense, I am also a Warriors’ fan. Following these two teams for decades will give even the most objective person (not me) an fan-feriority complex.

9. The Rabbit - Oct 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I may have missed this in another post, but according to the Onion, the country is “hating on” both teams

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2472)