Oct 28, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
I said in ATH that I couldn’t remember a sloppier World Series game. Reader Michael Caragliano reminds me of one I must have blocked from my memory:
14-11 game the Indians and Marlins played in 1997. It was a bad enough 7-7 game after eight, and THEN it got epic sloppy. Three errors and a wild pitch by Cleveland produced seven more runs in the top of the ninth, and then the Marlins tried to give the game back in the bottom half, with snow flurries coming down, to boot. Six errors, seventeen walks, and 4:12 to play, with Joe West behind the plate, for added insult to injury.
It all comes flooding back. In my defense: I watched almost the entire 1997 World Series from the Tiffany Tavern in Alexandria, Virginia, spying it out of the corner of my eye on a little TV while listening to live bluegrass. Game 7 was really the only one I totally locked in on. And yeah, I watched that one from the Tiffany Tavern. But I think even the banjo player was watching it too.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?