Remembering a sloppier World Series game

Oct 28, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT

Texas Rangers v San Francisco Giants, Game 1 Getty Images

I said in ATH that I couldn’t remember a sloppier World Series game. Reader Michael Caragliano reminds me of one I must have blocked from my memory:

14-11 game the Indians and Marlins played in 1997. It was a bad enough 7-7 game after eight, and THEN it got epic sloppy. Three errors and a wild pitch by Cleveland produced seven more runs in the top of the ninth, and then the Marlins tried to give the game back in the bottom half, with snow flurries coming down, to boot. Six errors, seventeen walks, and 4:12 to play, with Joe West behind the plate, for added insult to injury.

It all comes flooding back. In my defense: I watched almost the entire 1997 World Series from the Tiffany Tavern in Alexandria, Virginia, spying it out of the corner of my eye on a little TV while listening to live bluegrass. Game 7 was really the only one I totally locked in on. And yeah, I watched that one from the Tiffany Tavern. But I think even the banjo player was watching it too.

1. dodger88 - Oct 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Blue Jays / Phillies Game 4 in 1993 comes to mind. 15-14 final and much of it wasn’t pretty.

• Erik Gonzalez - Oct 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM

This is what happens when you let fly-by-night teams like the Rangers and Giants play in the World Series instead of consummate professionals like the Yankees. Not only do we get all those errors, but we miss Jeter’s chiseled good looks.

2. Erik Gonzalez - Oct 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Oh yeah, and Game 1 of the 2004 WS was pretty messy, especially Manny’s “performance” in RF.

3. mcs7584 - Oct 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I’m sorry, what? This is what happens when “you let” … teams like Giants and Rangers “in” the World Series? Seriously? What kind of elitist comment is that? Sorry your apparent beloved Yankee$ choked in the ALCS. No one “let” these teams in. They won their divisions AND proceeded to march through two playoff series. Your comment is appalling (though not surprising), offensive and the very reason why so very many people hate the Yankee$. You don’t have to wear pinstripes to play baseball.

• Lukehart80 - Oct 28, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I THINK Eric Gonzalez was joking.

• yetisizz - Oct 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM

This is why html needs to support a tag.

• yetisizz - Oct 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM

That was supposed to be a sarcasm tag.

• Richard In Big D - Oct 28, 2010 at 11:46 AM

The Yankee$ didn’t choke in the ALCS. They were beaten by the better team.

• Richard In Big D - Oct 28, 2010 at 11:48 AM

BTW, the better team with about one-fourth the payroll.

• itsmekirill - Oct 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Of course it was a better team, why else would they have had a regular season record 5 games worse in the weakest division in the league.

4. flyerscup2010 - Oct 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM

imagine how sloppy that indians-marlins world series would be today…

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3254)