Oct 28, 2010, 2:33 PM EDT
I’m sorry to be fixated on Yankees stuff this afternoon, but apparently watching two teams that aren’t the Yankees play in the World Series is driving the New York writers crazy.
Lupica’s column today is about how, for all the money the Yankees have spent in the past decade, they only have the one World Series title to show for it. Or, put differently, only one “[s]ince Mike Piazza hit one into Bernie Williams’ glove at the end of the 2000 Subway Series.” But I guess a decade is technically a decade and who are we to dwell on something that happened 11 seasons out? Ancient history.
Anyway, this is my favorite passage:
Two years ago, the Yankees spent $425 million on Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett. When those guys finally put the Yankees back on top in 2009, we heard it was part of a grand master plan. Only now the Yankees get pistol-whipped by the Rangers, and the immediate thought – demand? – to make things right is to go spend another $125 million, or whatever it is going to take, to get the best pitcher out there this year, Cliff Lee.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)