Oct 28, 2010, 9:31 AM EST
After that abomination of a game last night I needed something to cleanse the palate. Here’s something, from Baseball Prospectus:
Every baseball fan has a special World Series memory, whether it’s Willie Mays’ catch, Bill Mazeroski’s home run, Brooks Robinson’s defense, Kirk Gibson’s limp around the bases, or Derek Jeter becoming the first-ever Mr. November. With the World Series opening tonight at AT&T Park in San Francisco with the Giants facing the Texas Rangers, many of our writers, editors, and interns share their favorite memories of the Fall Classic.
Lots of good ones in there, none of which involve Vlad Guerrero making me huddle behind the couch in a ball, crying. I highly recommend you click through and give it a read.
And let’s turn the comment thread here into your favorite World Series moment too. I’ll start with the obvious one: David Justice’s home run in Game 6 of the 1995 World Series. There was still a lot of baseball to be played in that one, but it was at that moment that I thought: man, they’re going to win this game.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)