Oct 28, 2010, 9:31 AM EST
After that abomination of a game last night I needed something to cleanse the palate. Here’s something, from Baseball Prospectus:
Every baseball fan has a special World Series memory, whether it’s Willie Mays’ catch, Bill Mazeroski’s home run, Brooks Robinson’s defense, Kirk Gibson’s limp around the bases, or Derek Jeter becoming the first-ever Mr. November. With the World Series opening tonight at AT&T Park in San Francisco with the Giants facing the Texas Rangers, many of our writers, editors, and interns share their favorite memories of the Fall Classic.
Lots of good ones in there, none of which involve Vlad Guerrero making me huddle behind the couch in a ball, crying. I highly recommend you click through and give it a read.
And let’s turn the comment thread here into your favorite World Series moment too. I’ll start with the obvious one: David Justice’s home run in Game 6 of the 1995 World Series. There was still a lot of baseball to be played in that one, but it was at that moment that I thought: man, they’re going to win this game.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)