Would you pay $7200 for a World Series ticket?

Oct 28, 2010, 10:04 AM EST

Either StubHub is lying or else there are going to be a couple of deluded, perspective-free people sitting in AT&T park tonight: Eric Fisher of SBJ tweets:

StubHub hits new price highwater mark for World Series: pair of Dugout Club seats sold for tonight at $7,223 each. Demand overall still big.

That’s a piece, not for the pair, though at those prices it hardly matters.  I can’t think of what would possess me, no matter how much money I had, to pay that kind of scratch for a World Series ticket. I wouldn’t even do it if some wizard were able to alter the timeline and make it a matchup between the 1927 and 1998 New York Yankees (I like 1998 in 5, by the way).

Another thought: if you have over $14K to blow on World Series tickets, but you don’t have the kind of connections to simply get you a couple of choice seats gratis in the first place, you’re all hat and no cattle as far as millionaires go. Because at some point, it ain’t about the money. It’s about the access the money provides you.  Or at least, so I’m told.

1. BC - Oct 28, 2010 at 10:34 AM

$7K per ticket??!? Yikes. Most I ever paid for a ticket to anything was $300 for tickets to see Lane and Broderick in The Producers. And that was without threat of a rainout and not having to worry about being beered in the stands.
    PS. Of COURSE the ’98 Yankees would win. They’d be playing against guys who’d average about 110 years old.

2. Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2010 at 10:41 AM

If I was what “I” consider rich, and my team went to the world series?? YES. I would. What the hell… It beats blowing it in AC or on hookers like Charlie Sheen does…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I dunno Jonny 5, I may have to go with the latter sans the trip to AC. Better bang for your buck…

3. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I disagree that the person buying these tickets is a millionaire, for the sole reason that as you said millionaires don’t spend their money this way. They get tickets for free. Millionaires don’t become millionaires by paying $7200 a ticket. This is probably some middle class guy who got a Visa with a $20,000 limit and figured “What else do I have to do with this card? Might as well buy great seats to the World Series with it” without realizing he is going to be paying $50,000 for them for the next 10 years.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Chris, can I borrow your credit card? Just post the number, expiration and security code here. Thanks brah.

4. kander013 - Oct 28, 2010 at 11:11 AM

It wouldn’t be a Visa, it would be Mastercard, official sponsor of Major League Baseball.

• Richard In Big D - Oct 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM

But Chris doesn’t care about that. He’s not a baseball fan. He’s a Phillies fa. Big difference…

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I read the live blog, and I saw that you went to bed after the Rangers went up 2-0. I feel bad for you that when you woke up this morning, you saw that your boys had committed 4 errors and choked away game one 11-7. I advise you to stay up until the game is over tonight.

5. Charles Gates - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Would you sell a World Series ticket for $7,000?

6. itsabergthing - Oct 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM

So the economy must be a lot better than we all think??? 7K per ticket, that’s insane.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5160)