Oct 29, 2010, 5:55 AM EDT
Giants 9, Rangers 0: Aaron has the gory details of the bottom of the eighth inning here, and covers just about everything important about this game. I’ll simply add that watching Ron Washington manage the Rangers’ bullpen in the postseason has been like watching Richie Tennebaum against Gandhi at the U.S. Nationals tournament. All I can think is that Washington’s adopted sister married Raleigh St. Clair yesterday, throwing him off his game, leading to all of these unforced errors.
On the bright side: Nelson Cruz got to two or three balls in right field in the early innings that Vladimir Guerrero wouldn’t have. If not for that substitution, it probably would have been 4-0 Giants heading into that eighth inning. Though, no, I don’t presume that makes Rangers fans feel any better.
I suppose the smart money has the Rangers being written off now. I can’t say I’d bet against it. But there’s hope. Hope in the form of the Giants throwing out two lefties in the next two games in Jonathan Sanchez and Madison Bumgarner. Hope in that the Rangers have a lot of righthanded firepower and shouldn’t be as feeble in Games 3 and 4 as they were last night. Hope in that, should Colby Lewis falter, Neftali Feliz on seven days rest should be able to go five innings or more.
Oh, wait. That just brings us back to Washington. Who will still be managing that pen. Yeah, maybe we should just write Texas off now.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 34
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 90
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)